Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Joining The Marines

QUESTION: Hello Mr. Jason Grabill,am a Ghanaian not leaving in the States but will like to join the Marine Corps, is being a dream of mine and that of my grand-ma who is no more. Am currently in my second year in the university and would be twenty-one this year which means i will be around twenty-four after my graduation.My questions are 1. Am i eligible to join from my country at that age? 2. And after my graduation from the USMC i would like to go to school again can i? 3.How many times can i be deployed? 4. Do i get to choose my duty post? Thank you

Alas, as a non US Citizen, you are not eligible to enlist at this time.   You would have to come to the US on a work visa, and have the right to work in the US, then attempt to enlist.    That is the only way you can get in at this time.  

Yes, you can go to school again, you deploy as much as the unit you are with, every  one is different, and generally you get a choice of East/West coast or 'overseas'.  

Good luck!

QUESTION: Thank you Mr. Jason Grabill, so when am in school and my unit is being deployed do i have to quit school or still be in school whilst my unit is in deployment. And in school can i go to the NROTC to become an officer. Basically what are the requirement to be in an officer in the USMC.

Yes, you would have to quit school, although many will allow you to take online classes.    NJROTC is certainly an option, but I'm not sure how to become an officer, that one is outside my expertise.   You can check the USMC website and that will give you a better idea.   Type that question "How to become an officer in the US Marine Corps" into any search engine and it'll come up.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

Jason Grabill

Questions relating to US Marine Corps; rank, awards, uniforms, career choices. I can also help people spot and expose fakes (people pretending to be Marines or have awards they didn`t earn). Considering the Marines as a career? Or another branch, like the Air National Guard? Drop me a line. HOWever..know that I am NOT a recruiter. I can offer my expert opinion and advice, but can't (and won't) over rule what a recruiter says, they are the 'on duty' expert.

Infantry Rifleman, MOS 0311: 3 years. Marine Barracks Security (Marine Barracks, Annapolis, Maryland(not Embassy Duty): 3 years. Parachutist: MOS 9962: Got my wings in August of 1984. Intelligence Specialist: MOS 0231 10 years working as an Intelligence Analyst with a Fixed Wing Fighter Squadron, Force Service Support Group, and at Headquarters, Marine Corps. Field Radio Operator: MOS 2531. Served as a Platoon Sergeant in a Communications Platoon assigned to MEU Service Support Group 24 (Special Operations Capable). Did a hitch in the Army reserves as an 11B (Infantryman), 3 years. Finished out my career in the Air National Guard as a BioEnvironmental Engineer MOS 4B3X1, did that for a few years. I"ve been collecting and selling Marine Corps and other military uniforms, medals, and field gear since I was 8 years old.

United States Marine Corps Logistical Company.

I was an Editorial writer for Marine Corps Times from 1998-2000.

Extensive library of research materials relating to uniforms, medals, and equipment of the military and the Marine Corps. 22 College credits, Community College of the Air Force. Certified Historical Interpreter.

Kosovo Campaign Medal w/1 star Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with 4 stars. Numerous other unit awards. I was on duty on 9/11 at HQMC, near the Pentagon, and responded to that location to try and lend a hand if needed...

United States Marine Corps Historical Company, Guardian Security and Investigations, lead Investigator for 'Stolen Valor' cases.