Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/nursing home care

Question
Hello Mark, my dad is a retiree having served in korea during the war and 13 years active and then finishing up his service with the Air national gurard, he now recieves his military pension and his health is failing, he has macular degeneration and parkinsons disease and the time seems to be nearing for obtaining nursing home care for him.  Can you point me in the right direction to see what type of benefits may exist for him if any?   We do have a VA hospital in Lebanon PA , but being his a retiree didnt know if he may quailfy for something different.

Answer
Marc,
Yes, he should be eligible for monetary compensation as well as free medical care.  The quick, easy, and personal answers can be found at your local Disabled American Veterans (DAV).  Look them up in your phone book or go to the national website at:  http://www.dav.org/veterans/find-your-local-office/  This website lists the VA REGIONAL office phone number, and you can call and ask them for the phone number and address of the nearest LOCAL office.  When you get the local office, ask to speak to a Service Officer.  He may request to speak to you in person to ensure confidentiality.  Finding you an answer is the DAVís mission.  Their Services are free and confidentialf to all veterans and members of their families and they can work with his individual issues, whereas I can only give you generalized answers without knowing his specifics.  Iím not passing you off, just giving you the personal experts.
Please thank him for his service for me.
Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

MARK A. HOWELL