Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Many Questions

Question
Hello Mr. Florentine. What is the diference between primary mos and secondary mos? 2) Can you list jobs in each category? 3) Do i get to choose where i want to be deployed? 4) Can an Enlistee lead his own unit or team? 5) How many days is a marine allowed in a year to go on a vacation/leave? Thank you

Answer
Kofi,

1.  The Coast Guard does not utilize the same MOS system the Army, Air Force and Marines utilize so I am not certain the difference other to say that your primary MOS is your principal specialty while your secondary MOS is a sub-specialty.
2.  I can not since I do not know all the MOSs.
3. No...you service branch will determine where your unit deploys.
4.  Depends on the military branch.  That said the higher you move up the enlisted ranks the more leadership you would be expected to demonstrate.
5.  All military personnel regardless of branch earn 2.5 days of leave a month.  You are permitted to have a leave bank of 62.5 days.  Now just because you earn leave doesn't permit you to take it.  I've lost leave days some years.  Personally I try to take a day or two of leave a month and one or two longer vacations a year.  Ultimately its up to your chain of command how many days of leave you are permitted to take.

R/

LCDR John M Fiorentine USCG

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John Fiorentine