Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/USCG enlistment with a GED & a wavier

Sir, My grandson Ethan is very seriously interested in joining the Coast guard when he is 17. He is home schooled and will receive a GED when he is 16. We went to speak with the Coast Guard and was told with a GED it would require a waiver. How does one go about finding this information? We have talked about community collage to get 15 credits. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Joe Swensen

Thank you for reaching out to me. It is very common for home schooled children to require a waiver to enlist.  The waiver is submitted by the recruiter.  The recruiter is the best source of knowledge on Coast Guard enlistment procedures as they often change year to year based on the needs of the service.  The current economy has encouraged many people who there wise not considered military service to rethink their a result the Coast Guard has been able to raise its minimum standards as there are large candidate pools for each enlistment spot.  This was not the case several years ago.

Continuing on to community college is a great option and would potentially mean graduating boot camp as an E-3 vice E-2.  Please pass on the importance of remaining in the best physical condition possible and avoiding the temptations of teenage/adult life.  A poor or hastily made decision could result in life altering consequences.

LCDR John M. Fiorentine USCG

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John Fiorentine

Active Duty Coast Guard Lieutenant Commander. My specialties are opertations afloat and operations ashore; three afloat tours and three ashore tour under my belt including command afloat and navy exchange. My staff assignments have been with Officer Personnel Management as a Career Counselor, White House Military Office as a Social Aide, and at the Office of Law Enforcement within CG Headquarters as a program analyst. I can answer questions related to the Coast Guard, the assignment process, officer specialties, OCONUS duty, afloat and ashore operations. I can also answer questions related to the White House Social Aide Program.

WMEC Deck Watch Officer Portsmouth VA; DD Combat Info Center Officer Yokosuka Japan (Navy Exchange); WPB Commanding Officer San Juan PR; Enforcement Div Sector San Juan PR; Career Counselor (OPM-4); Law Enforcement Program Analyst (CG-MLE); Command Center Chief Sector San Juan PR

USCGA Alumni Association, OutServe, Society of White House Military Aides.

B.S. in Government from the US Coast Guard Academy; M.S.A in Leadership from Central Michigan University

CG Commendation Medal, USN Achievement Medal, CG Achievement Medal, CG Commandant Letter of Commendation