Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Complex Question-Reserves/Prior Enlisted

Hello John and thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  Here's my background.  From 1997-2002 I was in the Navy, left as a CTI2 RU/SC with good language scores (got the extra pay), double rating.  My TS/SCI has expired, I had to let it go while in law school because I had no sponsor for it anymore.  I am now a practicing attorney and divorced mother of an 11 year old.  I have always thought I would like to get re-involved somehow with serving my country.  I turn 40 this September.  I have not maintained my physical fitness due mostly to some health issues and just being so darn busy, I have "undifferentiated connective tissue disease" with a positive anti-dsDNA, which is short for I have non-confirmed Lupus/SLE.  I am pretty sure I am not qualified to do anything anymore, which seems a shame because I am highly trainable as evidenced by my record and frankly, my job never required physical efforts.  I know the Navy doesn't budge on certain things though because I wanted to re-enlist at the end of my first tour for another shore duty because of my desire to start a family but I was up for sea duty.  I said I would be happy to re-enlist for analyst school (which was often done in our career path) or something at my current duty station which I knew for a fact they needed to fill, and they had invested SO much in training me, but family came first, they said well that seems like a good idea, but we just CAN'T, so I got out... I've always missed it.  As my daughter gets older I know I will wish I was doing something to serve my country but missed my window, they probably would have kicked me out anyway when the autoimmune issues surfaced.  Currently I am on plaquenil and my symptoms are "in remission" but it is a very unpredictable thing, I know 39 is the advertised cutoff for reserve entry.  Every once in a while I poke around on the internet, etc. thinking there must be a way I can use my training and experience to get back into serving my country, Russian seems like it might come in handy right now, but I have to admit I haven't used it in a long time, but I am sure a refresher course would get me on track.  Sorry to ramble...suggestions?  Thanks.

Too be honest, you could not qualify for anything directly military related, but I would think if you be a good candidate for many other jobs in the DoD.  I would just search and see what kind of options there are, you might find something that may interest you over all.

You might get lucky and find the ultra cool job you never thought you could do.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L

I am a National Guard Recruiting NCOIC, been doing recruiting jobs for the military for over 12 years and am a subject matter expert on qualifications for National Guard and Army ( as we use the same regulation) and I keep up to date on other services regulations as well. In my job, I process questionable applicants and determine eligibility, I process waivers of all types and know the regulations inside and out. I will not sugar coat my answers to you. They are usually short and to the point. If you need more in depth, ask me. Because each situation is different, alot of times you need to actually talk to a recruiter and let them evaluate your situation in person, by looking at your documents, issues etc. If I suggest this, it would be in your best interest to do so. Finally...thank you for your interest in serving this great nation of ours. Very few people can actually make the cut to serve let alone choose to do so. So thank you for wanting to and hopefully you will get a chance. Whatever branch you choose, thank you and good luck.

18 years Guard experience, combat missions and homeland missions. 12 years recruiting. I have been a platoon sergeant and squad leader. Mentor to new recruiters and recruits.

Recruiters course and advanced courses in recruiting