Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Enlisting in the Navy

Question
Hello sir, I have been trying to enlist in the Navy. I have hypothyroidism  that is controlled by medicine. Every recruiter i talked to said i can't join the Navy because of my medical condition and they said that i would not be able to take my medication during boot camp. Which i know is not true because i read the AR 40-501. I really want to join the Navy. What should i do? Should i print out the AR 40-501 off of the computerand show the recruiter? I would really appreciate your answer. Thank you.

Answer
Chris,
   You are right and he is completely wrong.  But recruiters hate to be told they’re wrong, especially by non-military folks.  They want you to believe they know everything.  So approach it like it’s your fault.  Tell him, “Sorry, I may have said it wrong.  I have hypo, not hyper-thyroidism”.  Hyper can’t be treated well because it swings wildly from one extreme to another   No medicine can predict that.  Hypo is easy to correct, usually with Synthroid or Levothyroid.  (They’re small pills and sometimes blue.)  They’re easy to disguise in an empty bottle of harmless children’s-strength aspirin.  If your recruiter gives you any static, tell him you talked to me, a colonel.  Yes, take a copy with you and highlight the part that says “…uncontrolled  without medication”.  Show it to him  and apologize for saying the wrong thing.
When you go to boot camp be sure you have enough.  Keep them in your pants pocket at all times (they can’t legally search you.)  It’s easier than trying to explain all the time.  After boot camp the petty BS is over and you won’t have to hide it.  Your parents can mail it to you.
It’s sneaky but I’ve known it to work many times.
Lots of luck.
Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

MARK A. HOWELL