Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Promotion held in Abeyance

I was selected for advancement in 2012 for the FY13 US Navy E8.  My promotion was held in abeyance and told I would not be priveledged to wear the next rank. I just found out my Pay date should have been 16Mar 2013. I was reduced in rank at a special court martial and I feel I should have went to the court martial as an E8.  I asked to talk to my commanding officer about the abeyance and why I was not given a chance to redress, it was ignored. I asked my Navy provided attorney the same question before my court martial and was told the command can do what they want.  
The DOD instruction clearly states there will be no punishing of personnel before a trial. Please help me understand this and why do we have regulations to protect personnel but get ignored anyway.

Thanks in advance

I've never heard of such a thing happening before.  Was your legal rep a young, inexperienced LT?  Sounds like he let them get away with it.   He may  have been court-appointed but you don't have to accept him.  Fire this attorney and select another and see what he/she'll do for you,
Colonel H

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

All military questions, any Service. 30 years experience & two Ph.D.'s. 4 times Base Commander. Worked with Army, Navy, USMC, USCG and several foreign military units. Veteran of Kosovo, Bosnia, Macedonia, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, and 10 civil wars in Africa.

Air Force Colonel with 30 years experience. Air Force Base Commander 4 times. Highly decorated.

Org of Am Historians, Wild West History Assoc., Disabled American Veterans - Life Member, Am Motorcyclist Assoc. - Life Member, North Am Hunt Club - Life Member, NWTF - Life Member

Numerous book reviews published in the Journal of American History. Two books submitted for publication. Co-Author of two more. Eisenhower memorial Library (interview with U.S. Presidential chaffeur

Ph.D. in military history, Columbus University (Summa Cum Laude) Ph.D. in history, London, England (Summa Cum Laude) Master of Arts degree in history, Marshall University, WV Bachelors degree, double-major in history and mathematics, Salem College, WV Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL

Legion of Merit, Defense MSM, 5 Meritous Service Medals,Joint Commendation Medal AF Commendation Medal Army Commendation Joint Achievement Medal AF Achievement Medal Outstanding Volunteer Medal Total of 33 Medals and 43 Ribbons