Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Joining the National guard or Army

Colonel Howell wrote at 2014-09-11 23:51:04
Let me add to this answer.   You said you were particularly interested in the Army.  That's good because they are the most lenient on waivers.  I work closely with all the recruiters and have different info.  An expunged record can still be seen by the FBI and guess who does these investigations for the military.  You guessed it, the FBI.  Having your record expunged  Is great for peace of mind  and local cops but not for government agencies.  So you just can‘t omit it on a questionairre.  When  they see you’ve been honest about it they have a tendancy to immediately think youre honest so you must be innocent.  Plus when they see the disposition of the case (innocent) they’re sure of it.   I work closely with all the recruiters and have different info.   An expunged record can still be seen by the FBI and guess who does these investigations for the military.

They may ask you to apply for a waiver,  which the recruiter  will fill out with your  help..  Here’s the trick…all recruiters get a new quota fur recruits and waivers on 1 October.  You need to see your Army recruiter on 2 October to ensure you are one of the first to get one.

So YES you will be eligible to join.  Watch how the recruiter will suddenly bend over backwards to help you come October   He’ll be trying to get every person he can so he meets his new quota.  You mean $ in his pocket.

Colonel Howell

John L wrote at 2014-12-28 04:30:03
Sorry to say that the Colonel is not exactly correct, why do I know this, because it is my job to process all waivers in my state and these are the rules we work with currently.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L