Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Conditional Release

QUESTION: I am in the ANG, I am currently being retrained and will finish my tech school here within the next few weeks. I have been interested in going warrant in the ARNG but I know I will need a conditional release. I have been looking online but have not found the answer to my question. I was wondering how long I have to wait after I get back from my retraining I can submit a conditional release? Is there an unspoken rule? I heard a year, but I really do not want to wait that long since I can not get promoted in my new job. I have been looking at going into the warrant field because both my previous and current in training AFSC/MOS fall under the same career field of Intel. I need to think about the end game and that is retirement. Can the commander deny my request for a conditional release to go warrant of officer since I just got retrained? Please assist. Thank you.

ANSWER: Sorry for my delay in answering. Been busy with work.

It is really up the ANG whether to release you.  What is your reasoning?  Keep in mind, you will have to go to full basic training and MOS school again.  The warrant program requires that you have specific MOS's with time in that job to become an expert in the field. So you are looking a few years down the road before becoming a viable candidate.

The ANG will probably keep you 1-2 years since they just paid to re train you, but your state's TAG has the final say so ( or his rep).

QUESTION: Hi Jon L, Thank you for shedding light on this. I was in the active army in the MOS for 7 1/2 years. The new AFSC/MOS I am retraining into is within the same career field but I would be applying for the warrant position in my previous Army MOS. My reasoning is I want to use my expertise in my career field (14 years combined USA active duty/contractor/and Reserve) in a position that has more responsibility, pay, and better retirement. I really need to think about the end game and how this all ties into the education I have invested in. If I stay where I am at I would probably only retire as a E-7.  I have a BA in a related degree, and am working on a MA in a related field that would increase my standing as an expert in my field. I am currently at 11 years total active service and I need to really make this transition. I know many states vary, but I see warrant programs saying an applicant can have no more than 10 years total active service, some say 13, what is your take? Is this something I can waiver? I am afraid if I wait the two years then I will go over that requirement (if it is 13 yrs Total Active Service). Any suggestions? Advice? Thank you.

So much of the warrant program can be waived.  keep in mind, you will need the feeder MOS for the warrant program, but they can take other service related experience as well.  You will need to meet with a an Army Guard Warrant recruiter and see what the state's needs are and let him look at your back ground.  If you are a viable candidate, getting released should be easy since you still be serving the same state I assume.

Call a local guard recruiter and get the name and contact info for the Warrant OSM and he can evaluate your credentials and see if you might be a viable candidate.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L

I am a National Guard Recruiting NCOIC, been doing recruiting jobs for the military for over 12 years and am a subject matter expert on qualifications for National Guard and Army ( as we use the same regulation) and I keep up to date on other services regulations as well. In my job, I process questionable applicants and determine eligibility, I process waivers of all types and know the regulations inside and out. I will not sugar coat my answers to you. They are usually short and to the point. If you need more in depth, ask me. Because each situation is different, alot of times you need to actually talk to a recruiter and let them evaluate your situation in person, by looking at your documents, issues etc. If I suggest this, it would be in your best interest to do so. Finally...thank you for your interest in serving this great nation of ours. Very few people can actually make the cut to serve let alone choose to do so. So thank you for wanting to and hopefully you will get a chance. Whatever branch you choose, thank you and good luck.

18 years Guard experience, combat missions and homeland missions. 12 years recruiting. I have been a platoon sergeant and squad leader. Mentor to new recruiters and recruits.

Recruiters course and advanced courses in recruiting