Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/medical disqualifications

Question
Hello John,

My son has now been medically disqualified by the AF and the Navy.  He has tree nut allergies (not peanut, almond, pecan) and has never needed medical attention for it.  Also, he waa taking meds for Adhd, but has been off meds for more than 3 years, never had an IEP for school and has held a job continuously since he got out of high school (2 years ago).    He also has taken college courses while working full time, with a 3.0 GPA.  He scored an 80 on the ASVAB, a 90 on the electronics portion.  We are at a loss as to why the Navy rejected him.  The army recruiters were dinging him to enlist with them and yes, they know about his medical history.  What do you think the is likelihood he could get a waiver with the Army?

Thanks much!

Answer
The chances are slim, it really boils down to what is the reason for the disqualification as stated on his medical record at MEPs.  If is is nut allergy with no epi pen use, it can get waived.  The ADHD after age 13 with medication is less likely to get waived and rarely does.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L