Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Medical Waiver and AFROTC Scholarship

Question
Dear Sir,

I am an awardee of the National Air Force ROTC Scholarship, but not too long ago was I disqualified by DoDMERB because of my arthropod allergy. I am allergic to only codfish, shrimp, crab, and lobster. I was denied a medical waiver by the Air Force however. I do not have any severe reaction to these foods, so I don't have asphyxia, and I do not think these foods are common either, but I could be wrong on that. Is there any way I can obtain a review of my medical waiver denial? And can I submit additional information to DoDMERB about my allergies? Thank you.

Sincerely,
Vasant K.

Answer
Not normally, the rules are in place, and if you are allergic to certain foods, it can be disqualifying for military service.  You might be ok for enlisting, but the scholarship is pretty much done for.  Especially since a medical waiver was denied.

Sorry for the loss of the scholarship, I am sure you worked hard to get it.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L