Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Interest in military officership

Hello John,

First, I appreciate that you chose to answer my question regarding officer careers.

I have been very interested in military careers ever since my immersion into AFJROTC in high school, and even still as a graduate student preparing to complete my advanced degree. To date, I working toward applying for a spot in Navy OCS, hopefully within the Intelligence officer track, but I am also interested in the Civil Affairs officer track in the U.S. Army. The latter really piqued my interest when I learned about the role which combines regional expertise, language skills, and geopolitical awareness.

And to be honest because of the role description of the CA officer, I am more attracted to the Army. However, I am well past the age limit for entry into officership (i.e., Army OCS). Earlier this year I was in correspondence with an Army recruiter and after explaining my situation he noted that I should join as an E4 (since I have a Bachelor's) and then submit an OCS packet with my reserve unit, and possibility get into Reserve OCS.

John, because of my strong background in economics, critical languages, and international experience, I believe that I could be a great asset to either the Navy or the Army. I would really appreciate your advice as to which path is most optimal.

Thank you,

When you join the officer corps of the Army, the Army chooses what field you will get based upon your skills, how you do in OCS and the needs of the Army.

Everyone wants intelligence or civil affairs.  Unless you have specific skill sets in demand, you more than likely will not get those.

I dont know how old you are, so I dont know if you are too old for entry as OCS,which is 34 for the National Guard, and 32 for the Active Army.

A recruiter is your best bet to work with as every individual is different.

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L

I am a National Guard Recruiting NCOIC, been doing recruiting jobs for the military for over 12 years and am a subject matter expert on qualifications for National Guard and Army ( as we use the same regulation) and I keep up to date on other services regulations as well. In my job, I process questionable applicants and determine eligibility, I process waivers of all types and know the regulations inside and out. I will not sugar coat my answers to you. They are usually short and to the point. If you need more in depth, ask me. Because each situation is different, alot of times you need to actually talk to a recruiter and let them evaluate your situation in person, by looking at your documents, issues etc. If I suggest this, it would be in your best interest to do so. Finally...thank you for your interest in serving this great nation of ours. Very few people can actually make the cut to serve let alone choose to do so. So thank you for wanting to and hopefully you will get a chance. Whatever branch you choose, thank you and good luck.

18 years Guard experience, combat missions and homeland missions. 12 years recruiting. I have been a platoon sergeant and squad leader. Mentor to new recruiters and recruits.

Recruiters course and advanced courses in recruiting