Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Considering enlistment

Question
Good morning/afternoon. I have been trying to join the Army National Guard for 3 years. 2 years ago in summer 2013 I attempted to apply for the Guard, I was disqualified at MEPS for high myopia 11.75 diopters in one eye and 10.25 diopters in the other eye. My astigmatism  cylinder diopters was not disqualifying. A waiver was submitted and it came back denied that same year. I do have simple refractive amblyopia affecting right eye with no misalignment of the eyes. So fast forward to two in th half years later which is now, I still want to be in the Army National Guard. I went back to the eye doctor in October 2015 so my new prescription is still up to date and only 3 months old. It is -0.75 sphere -0.50 cylinder diopter left eye and -8.00 sphere -1.75 cylinder diopters right eye. Right eye is not correctable to 20/20 because of the amblyopia but left eye is. And my depth perception and stereovision is not up to par but I do have a little of it. Visual acuity is 20/20 left and 20/70 right eye with this new prescription. Visual acuity with both eyes open is 20/20. Eyes turn out to be healthy still. I got back in touch with Army National Guard recruiter in December 2015 and they were helpful to me despited me getting rejected for my eyes two years ago. A record of the ophthalmological eye exam including new prescription and visual acuity is at the MEPS for medical review. Because of this past disqualification, am I still dead in the water with ever enlisting in the guard permanently?  Do I need to be correctable to 20/20 in each individual eye? Should I expect the worst, another no? And now I am under the impression that one must have perfect depth perception and stereovision to join the Army National Guard now. Is that correct? With the new documentation mentioned, do I even stand a good case at ever joining at all? Or will that new documentation not mean anything since I was already rejected before? It does not bother me if I can't be a pilot because of my eyes. It's hard to be positive when I have a past disqualification even if the physical is not valid anymore. The military wil possibly still frown upon that even say no :(.

Answer
You are borderline, it really comes down to any eye pathology or issues you may still have.

You can try again, but chances are minimal, but worth a look at getting the waiver. Both eyes do not need to need to be 20/20, as long as one eye is , it is worth the waiver try.

Good luck  

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John L