Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard/Military Help

Question
QUESTION: Hi, Okay so here's my situation, I just got home from Recruit Training from Paris Island. During training another recruit and I got into an altercation and I struck him knocking his teeth out. Was given an Article 128 and dropped back in training as punishment. Going forward from that, I later tore my ligaments in my knees and was sent to MRP immediately to RSP for the injuries. But when I was given my discharge papers it stated "Entry Level Separation". And was told it was because of what had happen stated earlier with the Article 128. Is it right for them to discharge for something that I wasn't sent to RSP for? And can I change the reason for separation?

ANSWER: Andre,

Sorry to learn of your separation.  To answer your question...yes they can discharge you for either reasons.  Your DD-214 says entry level separation...what was your re-enlistment code?  There is a process to change the reason for separation by apply to the Board of Corrections of Military Records.  To be honest based the facts you offered I don't think it would be worth your time or expense since the military was within its rights to separate you for either the misconduct or the medical injury.  I think going forward if you still desire to be a marine talk to recruiter and see about getting back in.  Another option could be to look at the other services (Navy, Air Force, Army, National Guard, Air National Guard).

R/

LCDR John Fiorentine USCG

QUESTION: Thank you for taking the time for answering my question,  Would I be on stable grounds for getting the code changed to being discharged for my knees? I'm just afraid that the stated reason for discharge on my DD214 would affect me re-enlisting to another branch or applying for a job, and even school. Can I get it changed for the actual reason of unable to complete training?  And if so, how would I get into contact with someone from the Board of Corrections of Military Records to get it changed?

Answer
Andre,

What is your re-elistment code? Thats going to be integral to your ability to re-enlist. What is your recruiter advising?  Have you spoken to another beaches recruiter?  I think it will be an uphill battle and more than likely require a lawyer to appeal to the Board of Corrections of Military Records as the service was within the law to discharge you either for the misconduct or the medical injury.  But if you recieve a Re-Enlisment code permitting unrestricted enlistment on an honorable discharge with reason "entry level separation" I really don't think you will have difficulty re-enlisting.  Also you are never required to disclose the reason for your separation which you can certainly limit to I had a medical injury during boot camp.  The thing that you would have to disclose is the characterization of your discharge which I assume was Honorable.

R/

LCDR John Fiorentine USCG

Careers: Military--Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, Coast Guard

John Fiorentine