Careers: Modeling/Modeling

QUESTION: Hi Ken. I am Korean guy named youngjin. I last week had a underwear modeling job but I was embarassed because my penis became fully erect. Is there anything that I can do to ease the embarassment? What would you as a photographyler do in a situation like min? I know this very stupid but thanks for reading.

ANSWER: Hello Youngjin and thank you for your question. Fist off, no question is stupid because you seek an answer and understanding. I find it interesting that you are Korean yet from China because in China they have very strict regulations regarding modeling.

You did not give me your age, experience or any background on the photoshoot, which makes it difficult to answer your question specifically to you. Whether it is you or any other model who experiences sexual arousal during a photoshoot and would like to know how to deal with it, I would need the following information:

Your age
Modeling experience level (amateur or professional model)
Was the shoot on location or in a studio?
Was the photographer male or female?
Was the photographer or an assistant posing you in a way that could generate a sexual feeling (intentional or unintentional)?
How many people were present at the shoot?
What was the set that was used?
What type underwear were you wearing for the shoot (normal fitting underwear or sexy fitting and looking)?

Here are some of my general thoughts on the subject .....

As a professional photographer, I treat every shoot as I would any business arrangement, unless I was doing the shoot for free for someone I know personally. As a professional, it is very important to make the model feel comfortable with me and any of my assistants, including my MUA and stylist. What you experienced with sexual arousal can happen to any model (amateur or professional) regardless of the style of shoot and is normal. It happens with both the male and female models. It probably happens more with the models I work with because I tell them to be very natural and "let go" of the feelings and emotions. This way I capture a very natural look. There is a misnomer in the industry that having sexual feelings during a shoot is the result of inappropriate behavior by the photographer or someone else involved with the shoot. This is NOT true.

As a model you need to be aware that opportunities become available for various style outfits and even nude modeling if you choose. You need to build self confidence, not be modest or embarrassed if you experience an erection again. If the photographer does not want the look with an erect penis, then they would normally take a break. If not, it is appropriate for you nto tell the photographer you need to take a break to recover. Make sure before any shoot you thoroughly discuss the shoot and what is expected from you.

Hope this helps,

Ken - KGR Photography

QUESTION: Thanks for the first answer. I am not in china, Im in USA. The photo shoot was only me standing with fists tight in thong. That's when it happened. No other reason

Hello Jake. I'm certain as you do more photoshoots and become comfortable in front of the camera you will not experience an erection and your body language will be more smooth and natural.

Feel free to shoot me any more questions you may have.

Ken - KGR Photography

Careers: Modeling

I can answer questions about modeling from both a male model and photographers perspective such as: * How old or young can someone be to get into modeling? * What is the best age to get into modeling? * Is modeling just for the very tall and thin girls or muscular guys? * How do you know if you have what it takes to become a model? * What do photographers look for in a model? * How do you learn to pose? * What is body awareness and how important is it to becoming a successful model? * How do you prepare for a photoshoot? * Selecting modeling genres that are right for you? From the business side, I can answer questions related to: * How to get started in modeling? * Freelance modeling and self representation versus signing with an agency. * How to find auditions and other modeling opportunities. * Finding and building a free online modeling profile sites and networking groups/events. * Developing your own free or subscription modeling website?

I started out as a male model when I was 15 and modeled for several photographers, artists and figure drawing classes until I was 22 years old. Today, I'm a published and agency recommended professional freelance photographer from Southern California. I have over 10 years specializing in fashion, lifestyle, portraiture, editorial, actor headshots, swimwear, glamour, boudoir, lingerie, artistic, nude, erotic and theme specific photography. I'm also experienced in model portfolio and web site development, model tear sheets, posters, calendars and other model promotional items.

I model freelance part time and studied at the Los Angeles School of Photography. I host bi-monthly workshops (which include a photoshoot) for amateur models of ALL ages.