Careers: Modeling/Cameras and modelling

Hi Keith, my question is about both modelling and photography. Do you believe if a model has been under conditions where they have been in cold weather that a modern camera can make the skin look terrible just because the skin has some kind of reaction to the cold? In other words can skin that would otherwise look good, end up looking bad in front of the camera because of the weather?

Also, as a model have you found that any close up shots you have had taken have made you look a lot different to how you see yourself in the mirror or in other photos? For example can a close up photo make your nose, or face look out of proportion? Do you believe modern cameras are more accurate than older cameras or can the millions of pixels create an even worse representation of the subject if the lighting or lenses used are not perfect?

Best regards

Hello Mike and thank you for your question. Your question is interesting because to answer it honestly depends on the look you are seeking and the quality of the camera and lens you are shooting with. Regardless of the weather conditions, if you are shooting with an entry level DLSR and a standard lens, your photos will never look better then cell phone quality photos. The camera and lens are also subject to the lighting conditions you are shooting in as to determine how a models skin will look. Depending on the time of day, the brightness of the sun and the accuracy of the camera settings you are using can cause the skin to look blown out or simply not very clear if your camera settings are off.  

If shooting with film, this can be cause for concern. However, using a modern professional camera body and lens along with quality photo editing software such as Portrait Professional, Light Room and Photoshop, editing out blemishes and smoothing skin is a relatively simple process, even for close up photos. If you are looking for a high fashion or editorial look, you can over edit a portrait without worries. If you seek a natural look, it takes more skill as to not come across as looking fake. I do believe that film takes the best quality photos if you are a skilled photographer. However, with editing photos from a RAW format, I do not believe that the millions of pixels will create an even worse representations of the subject.

I hope this helps!

Careers: Modeling

I can answer questions about modeling from both a male model and photographers perspective such as: * How old or young can someone be to get into modeling? * What is the best age to get into modeling? * Is modeling just for the very tall and thin girls or muscular guys? * How do you know if you have what it takes to become a model? * What do photographers look for in a model? * How do you learn to pose? * What is body awareness and how important is it to becoming a successful model? * How do you prepare for a photoshoot? * Selecting modeling genres that are right for you? From the business side, I can answer questions related to: * How to get started in modeling? * Freelance modeling and self representation versus signing with an agency. * How to find auditions and other modeling opportunities. * Finding and building a free online modeling profile sites and networking groups/events. * Developing your own free or subscription modeling website?

I started out as a male model when I was 15 and modeled for several photographers, artists and figure drawing classes until I was 22 years old. Today, I'm a published and agency recommended professional freelance photographer from Southern California. I have over 10 years specializing in fashion, lifestyle, portraiture, editorial, actor headshots, swimwear, glamour, boudoir, lingerie, artistic, nude, erotic and theme specific photography. I'm also experienced in model portfolio and web site development, model tear sheets, posters, calendars and other model promotional items.

I model freelance part time and studied at the Los Angeles School of Photography. I host bi-monthly workshops (which include a photoshoot) for amateur models of ALL ages.