Careers: Nursing/CPN

I am a 55 year old male who has just graduated with a upper 2:1 in a Bsc Psychology with counselling degree programme. I am mainly interested in working in mental health. Can you tell me, am I to old to study to become a CPN and if not what are the routes to becoming a CPN.

Many Thanks,  John

HI John

Well done on graduating. I am not sure where you are in the world but if you are UK based you must complete your RMN before you can become a CPN.  You could possibly go straight in as a support worker if there are any vacancies.  The RMN would be 3 or 4 years.

It all depends on which course you apply for as to wehter you would be considered too old.  When I trained there was someone of 62!

I would go to any colleges that are offering it and seek advice. It shows willing if you go and meet them in person, also try to get some volunteer work in psychiatry - which is very different to psychology although related.

If you are self funding the course there is every chance yu would get in as universities are getting desperate for bums on seats.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

You could also ask the RCN for advice or the Department of Health in their recruitment section.

Careers: Nursing

Karen Moss

I am a District Nurse in the United Kingdom, and would be pleased to offer enayone help in anything connected with community nursing.