Careers: Nursing/nursing school

Hello Ken,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my email. Currently I am 27 years old and will complete my associates in allied health in summer 2013. I attend Hillsborough community college in Tampa fl., I have a 3.5 gpa and all the prerequisites for the bsn programs in my state. I am starting to get anxious and worried at the same time. I am confident in myself but am aware that there simply are not enough slots in bsn programs and even associates in nursing programs to accommodate all the students that would like to attend. I even know people that have a 4.0 and all the prerequisites that were not accepted. I will not give up on my dream if not accepted however I do not want to just keep working in a dead end job and  put school on pause until that time comes if it does. In the future I can see myself working as a r.n in a substance abuse rehab center, emergency room, and number one choice forensics (medical examiner investigations). Usf offers bachelors degrees in public health, health sciences, and behavioral health. In your opinion .... if I don't get into nursing school 2014 would attending a university in any of these majors benefit me while I continue to apply? If I have to wait a year or 2 I'd like to stay in school and have something under belt especially since ill have an a.s. I'm just not sure but I should be considering. Your honestly and advice would be greatly appreciated.

No.... No sense wasting time in another major while waiting. There is no guarantee that you will get a better job while waiting to get into nursing school. Its just costly and you need to get the RN degree which is your ultimate goal.  However, I would take the general education classes that are in the BSN program while you wait  to be accepted. The more you lighten that credit load, the more time and effort you can spend on the nursing portion. Just make sure the courses are transferable into a BSN program if you are not taking the classes at the same school you plan on doing the BSN.

Good luck!

Careers: Nursing

I can answer questions regarding all aspects of Nursing as a career in general. If you need help deciding if nursing is a career for you, then let me help you with your decision. As an added bonus, I can answer your questions from the perspective of being a man in nursing who has a wife that is also a nurse. Men is nursing is more accepted today than it was when I began in 1993. Regardless of your gender, Nursing has so much to offer and is among the most respected professions of our time. I have been a registered nurse since 1993 and have been certified in Critical Care nursing since 1996. I am currently a full-time Critical Care Ground Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN). I am working per diem as a night Shift Administrator/Nursing Supervisor.

My experience over the years since 1993 have been spent between the Emergency Room and the Critical Care Units. More recently since 2007 I have been working in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a Critical Care Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN)/Emergency Medical Technician(EMT). This unit is known as the Specialty Care Transport Unit(SCTU). I transport all age populations with critical medical problems from Hospital A to Hospital B in the back of an ambulance. My job is to make sure this patient remains in the same or better condition and to handle any emergency that may arise during the over the road transport. BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP/ITLS Certified Provider.

American Association of Critical Care Nurses Honor Society of Nursing, Upsilon Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International

BSN,Nursing/Pursuing MSN in Nursing Administration Critical Care Registered Nurse(CCRN)/ Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN)/ Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/ AAS Business Management

American Ambulance Association-2009 Star of Life Recipient