Careers: Nursing/question about being an RN

Question
Hi Ken, I just completed my associate degree in pre-nursing and looking forward for the nursing program in WA state. When I was a young child, I had a dream to be a doctor, but financial had turned my way to became an accountant. Now, I have two sons and married a great man who is serving the military.I decided to pursue my dream and dedicate my time to help people in need and become a nurse. clearly as a nurse we help people in hospital, nursing home, other health care facilities, now my question is what is an RN ? what does an RN do that make it different ?
thank you.

Answer
Sirfiati:

The Registered Nurse is the center of their patients universe. You are a micro and macro manager of all aspects of your patients care. They manage and coordinate their patients care from admission to discharge. As a primary care nurse nothing happens to your patient without your knowledge and control. You are also your patients advocate and will go head to head with other ancillary healthcare departments and the doctor to be sure your patient gets the best care they deserve.

On a personal level you will care for your patients physical, emotional and nursing/medical  needs throughout their stay. That means from personal hygiene and bathing to psychosocial support and the administering of medications and procedures.

A registered nurse can change the future of every patient they touch.

Good Luck!

Careers: Nursing

Ken , BSN, RN, CCRN, MICN