Careers: Nursing/use of needles

I did a blood test yesterday at a reputable biomedical lab in Jordan. (The guy who did the test on me was new though).
The man who did the test touched my vein (or the location near the bein before inserting the needle before inserting the needle). He sterliize the location around my vein before doing so.

He didn't have any blood on his fingers but

I'm a bit worried that there's a risk of transmission of viruses that can be transmitted through unseen blood. What if he had some unseen blood on his finger froum touching another patient's vein or something like that?

Are employees given insructions on this issue (i.e. if you want to touch the arm, make sure you do no touch the exact area that you will insert the needle into? or do they sterlize their hands (with something that kills enveloped viruses such as HBV) before doing that)?

Hello Hashim,
Reading your question, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The person should have had gloves on. But in order for blood transmission to happen he would have had to have an open cut or sore, stuck you and then touched that area with his open sore, I hope that makes sense. We in th US always wash our hands and use sanitary foam to kill any germs, and still wear gloves when starting an IV. The risk for transmission is higher for us and the blood gets on us then it is for the person getting stuck.  Warmest regards, KathleenY2

Careers: Nursing

Kathleen RN

I can answer nursing questions related to medical nursing and preoperative and post operative nursing care. What to expect as you come into the hospital, questions to ask your doctor, what to expect postoperative. How to minimize your chances of post operative complications such as infection.

I am in charge of a thirty bed surgical unit on nights, twelve hour shifts. I am a resource person for new grads and new hires, I also work on the floor when not in charge and love bedside nursing.

Associates Degree in Nursing.

Surgical patients, medical patients, pysch patients, detox patients at times. Our hospital does not discriminate, and regardless of finances or insurance are taken care of. On my floor we take care of all general surgeries, orthopedics, neurosurgery, urology. No pediatrics, I have taken care of as young as four years old, but am not an expert on pediatrics. I will never divulge personal information because of HIPPA laws, and will not go out of my scope of practice.