Careers: Nursing/PMHNP or PsyD

Hi Ken,

I was recently accepted into both a PsyD program and an accelerated Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner program in the US. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about both career paths in order to make the most well-informed decision. I know what the basic differences (nurses can prescribe, PsyDs have more training in psychotherapy) but in terms of the financial and time investments, and the current job market, do you think one path makes more logistical sense than the other?

I would go with the Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner program as you can prescribe meds and do therapy counseling. Psychologists can only counsel and they leave the med prescriptions up to a Psychiatrist.

So, I believe the Nurse Practitioner route is probably your best career opportunity as far as progressing in the Psychiatric field of practice.

Good Luck!

Careers: Nursing

I can answer questions regarding all aspects of Nursing as a career in general. If you need help deciding if nursing is a career for you, then let me help you with your decision. As an added bonus, I can answer your questions from the perspective of being a man in nursing who has a wife that is also a nurse. Men is nursing is more accepted today than it was when I began in 1993. Regardless of your gender, Nursing has so much to offer and is among the most respected professions of our time. I have been a registered nurse since 1993 and have been certified in Critical Care nursing since 1996. I am currently a full-time Critical Care Ground Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN). I am working per diem as a night Shift Administrator/Nursing Supervisor.

My experience over the years since 1993 have been spent between the Emergency Room and the Critical Care Units. More recently since 2007 I have been working in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a Critical Care Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN)/Emergency Medical Technician(EMT). This unit is known as the Specialty Care Transport Unit(SCTU). I transport all age populations with critical medical problems from Hospital A to Hospital B in the back of an ambulance. My job is to make sure this patient remains in the same or better condition and to handle any emergency that may arise during the over the road transport. BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP/ITLS Certified Provider.

American Association of Critical Care Nurses Honor Society of Nursing, Upsilon Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International

BSN,Nursing/Pursuing MSN in Nursing Administration Critical Care Registered Nurse(CCRN)/ Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN)/ Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/ AAS Business Management

American Ambulance Association-2009 Star of Life Recipient