Careers: Nursing/Nursing

Question
Hello, I will be a junior in the fall and I have been thinking a lot recently about what I want to be. I have pretty much always known I wanted to do something in the medical field, and lately I have decided that I would like to be a nurse. I enjoy being busy, and am good with people. Giving shots and seeing blood doesn't bother me, Im just worried if I can handle other things I see such as open wounds etc. Does a nurse see that a lot? Is it something I can get over? I really hope this doesn't hold me back from being a nurse, but Im not sure. Thanks ahead of time for you're help.

Answer
Nicole:

There are so many specialties in Nursing that you can move around until you find your niche. Many nurses work in areas with minimal blood ang guts.. so to speak.  What I  am more worried about is the future of the 2 year RN. The economy is so bad that jobs are hard to come by .... even in Nursing. My hospital in NJ is not even hiring 2 year RN's anymore. If you decide to go into nursing, I would increase your chances by going go a 4 year RN program. Hospitals pay 2 and 4 year nurses the same out of school so most are opting to take the more educated nurse right off the bat. Hospitals are doing more with less nurses due to many patients who cant pay due to not having a job and/or no insurance. However, they are not turned down for medical care as long as they come through the Emergency Room. I dont see the nursing shortage that the educators are forecasting.
Good Luck!

Careers: Nursing

Ken , BSN, RN, CCRN, MICN