Careers: Nursing/questions on nursing

Hi, I have a couple questions on nursing as a career. Firstly, I am 17 years old, still in high school and considering becoming a nurse practitioner in mental health. I live in Australia. I'm wondering:

1) How important is it to have a suitable personality for this career? Obviously it will involve constant human interaction, and honestly I'm very shy, introverted, and awkward. I am hoping this will change in time, such as in university. Is this going to affect me a lot? I mean I can talk to people and stuff, I just get very nervous.

2) I am considering doing a combined degree, that is masters of nursing with either a bachelor of health sciences or bachelor of science. Do you know if this will benefit me much in nursing? Will it give many advantages?

3) In your opinion, do you think for me personally there is a more suitable career choice, considering: I'm not 100% set on nursing, but I considered it because I enjoy health/biology/that sort of stuff. I would become a doctor and might go for UMAT but realistically, it's unlikely that I'll get into med school (knowing my own capabilities). I mainly like the part of diagnosing, informing patients, investigation symptoms and finding out what's wrong, the science under it all (how it all works), giving medication etc. so I guess that's more like a doctor, although similar to a nurse practitioner who can do some of these things too.

4) Lastly, is a psychiatric nurse the same as a mental health practitioner? I guess not but wanted to make sure anyway.

1. You need to be very extroverted in this field since the entire job is talking and interacting with patients. Your personality is already formed by your age and growing out of it is difficult. You can practice interaction, but if its not natural to you then you may struggle daily to do your patient interaction in a field that is based mainly on communication.

2. Go one step at a time and work after your first degree. You may find that your interests change. In other words dont plan everything in one sitting. More education is always a good thing and higher degrees open up management type jobs in nursing.

3. I would volunteer in a hospital setting this year so you can see if you are comfortable in a hospital setting. Or, you could get a job as a nurses aid where you will get patient interaction. Nursing seems glamourous from the outside, but there is a lot of personal care and hygiene assistance you will be doing with patients in times when they are not at their best. Lots of wiping of bodily fluids etc...etc  Being a doctor is a long haul, but if you love education and patient care maybe its something to look into.

4. A psychiatric nurse is a progression insteps toward being a nurse mental health practitioner. Psychiatric nurse can be done with a basic nursing degree. A practitioner is advanced practice and education.

Good Luck!

Careers: Nursing

I can answer questions regarding all aspects of Nursing as a career in general. If you need help deciding if nursing is a career for you, then let me help you with your decision. As an added bonus, I can answer your questions from the perspective of being a man in nursing who has a wife that is also a nurse. Men is nursing is more accepted today than it was when I began in 1993. Regardless of your gender, Nursing has so much to offer and is among the most respected professions of our time. I have been a registered nurse since 1993 and have been certified in Critical Care nursing since 1996. I am currently a full-time Critical Care Ground Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN). I am working per diem as a night Shift Administrator/Nursing Supervisor.

My experience over the years since 1993 have been spent between the Emergency Room and the Critical Care Units. More recently since 2007 I have been working in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a Critical Care Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN)/Emergency Medical Technician(EMT). This unit is known as the Specialty Care Transport Unit(SCTU). I transport all age populations with critical medical problems from Hospital A to Hospital B in the back of an ambulance. My job is to make sure this patient remains in the same or better condition and to handle any emergency that may arise during the over the road transport. BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP/ITLS Certified Provider.

American Association of Critical Care Nurses Honor Society of Nursing, Upsilon Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International

BSN,Nursing/Pursuing MSN in Nursing Administration Critical Care Registered Nurse(CCRN)/ Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN)/ Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/ AAS Business Management

American Ambulance Association-2009 Star of Life Recipient