Careers: Nursing/Phlebotomy

QUESTION: Hello :) I was wondering if becoming a phlebotomist is a good career choice. I wanted to be oe for a long time but this economy is a little messed up. So i'm 50/50 on it.

ANSWER: Cheri:

Phlebotomy is a needed component in the health care industry but  there is no room for career advancement. It does not pay well, but It could be a good stepping stone to becoming a nurse.  

Good Luck!

QUESTION: Hello. What's the usual starting pay? Is it really needed as a position?

Its only like $10 hr in my area. Its only a short course and on the job trainiing. It's really a stepping stone job... Not a career unless you are just looking for supplemental income.  There are not many openings either. There are only a few phlebotomists on during the day..We draw our own patients on night shift.. So we dont use a phlebotomist on nights.

Good Luck!

Careers: Nursing

I can answer questions regarding all aspects of Nursing as a career in general. If you need help deciding if nursing is a career for you, then let me help you with your decision. As an added bonus, I can answer your questions from the perspective of being a man in nursing who has a wife that is also a nurse. Men is nursing is more accepted today than it was when I began in 1993. Regardless of your gender, Nursing has so much to offer and is among the most respected professions of our time. I have been a registered nurse since 1993 and have been certified in Critical Care nursing since 1996. I am currently a full-time Critical Care Ground Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN). I am working per diem as a night Shift Administrator/Nursing Supervisor.

My experience over the years since 1993 have been spent between the Emergency Room and the Critical Care Units. More recently since 2007 I have been working in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a Critical Care Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN)/Emergency Medical Technician(EMT). This unit is known as the Specialty Care Transport Unit(SCTU). I transport all age populations with critical medical problems from Hospital A to Hospital B in the back of an ambulance. My job is to make sure this patient remains in the same or better condition and to handle any emergency that may arise during the over the road transport. BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP/ITLS Certified Provider.

American Association of Critical Care Nurses Honor Society of Nursing, Upsilon Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International

BSN,Nursing/Pursuing MSN in Nursing Administration Critical Care Registered Nurse(CCRN)/ Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN)/ Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/ AAS Business Management

American Ambulance Association-2009 Star of Life Recipient