Careers: Nursing/re-entering the workforce

Question
Hi Ken,

I worked on a step down unit for about 4 years. Unfortunately, I had some health complications and had to quit my job so that I could focus on my own health and getting back to 100%. I have been out of work since 11/2011.  Now my health is perfect, but I have encountered many obstacles re-entering the workforce. I have applied to many jobs in various positions, but have had no luck landing a job. I need to start working again, but I just don't seem to have any luck. I have revised my resume and got help from my college to give me suggestions. My certifications and licenses are current. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to start working again? Would it be better for me to look cross country since I am apart of the compact states? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

Answer
Brianne:

Times have changed for nurses. There is no shortage in the northeast. You may have to move south or midwest to find work. Especially, if you dont have a BSN. Hospitals are forcing  the entry level nursing to a BSN by not hiring Associates nursing like they used too. I would try an agency to see if u can get placed. Worst case try to get back some experience by taking a nursing home position. I wish i had better news, but the longer you are out of nursing, the tougher it will be to get back. I would also start in Med Surg to get your foot back in. Once your hired, you can move into other positions. The recession has impacted nursing in away that has not been seen before. Unfortunately, i know many unemployed nurses here in the Northeast US.

Careers: Nursing

Ken , BSN, RN, CCRN, MICN