Careers: Nursing/Sores and feeling ill

Question
Dear Kathleen

Recently I tore the skin in between my finger name and the flesh area, right where the two borders. I immediately had it attended to by a nurse, who cleaned it with more than one substance before finally wrapping it. Now this minor treatment was not really painful, well bearly. Now, just after stepping out of the camp clinic I started feeling very ill, and I knew this bad feeling was connected to the dressing of my finger which just took place, for this is not the first time I had to endure these faint feelings even while minor injuries are treated. Now, after feeling ill, I sat somewhere and the feelings grew far worse to the extent that I began sweating a lot, and just could not remain still, and even had to decline help to go to the nurse, for I felt quite sure that had I stood up I would have passed out even while being assisted. In a little after 5 minutes the feelings went, and a little of it remained for a few hours until later in the evening it went completely. Now over the years I have been wondering what causes these feelings when my injuries are attended to. Years ago I saw a mother attending to her son's injury. Now when I saw the pair of scissors in her hands, I immediately fell ill, and remained ill until I left work. Can you explain this kind of experience to me, and what causes them and how I can overcome them? Many thanks in anticipation of your soon reply.

Your truly
David

Answer
Hello David,
What you are explaining to me I believe that any type of injury, or blood or procedure makes you ill and feel faint. It is not uncommon I promise you, if this is what you are experiencing. As an ER nurse I have to start IV's and the biggest guys(football players, bouncers, motorcycle riders) ect.. will pass out on me just at the sight of a needle or some type of injury. If this is what you are experiencing I can only tell you to sit down put your head between your knees and breath slowly in through your nose and out throught your mouth and try to calm yourself down. I know its rediculous sounding, but you can even ask the physician for something to "help" with your anxiety about whatever the procedure is that you are going through. I am so sorry this happens to you, but know you are not alone and this happens to many people. Best of luck, warmest regards KathleenY2

Careers: Nursing

Kathleen RN