Careers: Nursing/Re: New Grad HELP!

Question
Ken,

I am a second career student who will be graduating in May '16 with an ADN. I have a previous BSRS in Radiology and have worked in  Trauma Rad for over 20 years at large teaching hospitals. I work part time as a Rad Tech in the ED at a trauma center. I recently completed my EMT-B certification and am going to take EMT-I concurrently with my last term in RN this spring. I am enrolled to complete ACLS and PALS in April. And I'm a CNAII as well.

My main focus, clearly, is acute care or emergency care. How do I stand out as a new grad...what other courses or experience can I complete in order to be more attractive to an RN Residency or employer so that I can begin my career in a unit or in the ED?

thanks in advance.

My main focus

Answer
Aeryn:

Sorry for the delay...but..I worked 3 night shifts in a row and I'm just getting to the computer.  

It looks as though you are doing all you can for a new grad. The problem nowadays is that hospitals are trying to hire mostly BSN nurses right out of school because the pay is the same and they would rather gravitate to the 4 year nurse.

However, since you have an in already at the hospital...you should have an edge right there. I would focus on networking with other nurses and even nurse managers. It is the case where who you know will work better than what you know in this case.

Networking in your hospital with the right nurses and nurse managers will put you in the forefront for hiring once you get your RN.  You can drop subtle hints of your interest in becoming a nurse in their department and even ask what you could do to help in being hired. Networking with the nurse recruiter and Human Resources will also be a big plus.

Taking the ACLS, PALS, Basic Arrhythmia and EKG courses ahead of time shows your willingness to do what it takes to get the job in the ER. Every hospital is different and some will not hire new grads in an ER setting. If thats the case, then start networking the MedSurg nurses and nurse managers at your hospital to get the in.

If you find that you will not be able to get in anywhere in your hospital system then the worst case is the local nursing homes. No one really like to start there, but I have seen many grads go unemployed nowadays with the 2 year degree. So they are all flocking to the nursing homes just to get medical experience and then applying to hospitals after a year of experience.

Now, this all depends on your geographical area as well. You will get a job in North Dakota for example as oppossed to NJ much easier as the demand exceeds the supply in outlying areas.

Good luck!
Ken, BSN, RN, CCRN, MICN

Careers: Nursing

Ken , BSN, RN, CCRN, MICN