Careers: Nursing/Trying to get that BSN, or at least be an RN

Question
Hi Ken,

I am a student in the pre-nursing courses, struggling to get into my current university's BSN program. I have already changed my major in the past until I finally realized that nursing was my best course, and am now a senior. The problem is that I have already been denied once from the program and am looking to try again but am very close to the point that I could graduate with a BS of Allied Health Sciences... which I can't do much with.

I've met with some university career counselors as well as advisers who all have given me different answers about this: can I go to a community college just to acquire the skills of a nurse after I have my BS of AHS and then be marketable for jobs as would a BSN? I would already have all of the background and prerequisites necessary for a BSN through the BS of AHS.

I have heard that all I would need is the skills in the area and not necessarily even associates degree, I have heard that it wouldn't make sense to do that, among other answers.

My ultimate goal is to become a nurse and I want to do that however I can. I wanted to ask someone that has some knowledge on the subject as my advisers are not in the nursing field necessarily. I am planning on applying to more than one nursing school in my state this time, but I find it difficult to leave where I am as I consider it home now.

Any insight that you could give me would be awesome.

Thank you for your time!

Answer
Cass:

Nursing has been difficult for new RN's since the recession and the healthcare insurance crisis. Hospitals can not refuse care for patients coming through the ER doors and patients are being cared for at the expense of the hospital systems. In turn, hospitals are cutting staff to include nurses and expecting more work from less nurses in order to stay within budgets.  Hospitals are also opting for 4 year BSN nurses when they can as the starting pay is the same for most new nurses who are paid by years of experience. If you can get the 4 year degree that is best. If you are in an area that does not attract nurses like North Dakota for example, a 2 year degree RN would be ok. It's all supply and demand. I would call the local hospital nurse recruiter and ask them if they are hiring new 2 year RN grads or only. 4 year BSN nurses. This will give you an idea of which route to follow. You can always go back later for the BSN if the hospital will hire 2 year RN's.

Nurse's with experience have plenty of work. It's the new grads who are suffering from lack of positions. Ofcourse, experienced nurses are still overworked and under paid. I have only gotten 1 raise over the past 5 years or so. It's a tough time for all professions and nursing is no exception nowadays. I would apply to as many schools as you can for the least tuition. As long as you pass your NCLEX RN exam.... It doesn't matter what school you get your degree from.

I wish I had better news, but don't give up. Keep trying and you will succeed. Let me know how things go. Oh.., if you can get a nurses aide job at the local hospital while in school.... That could help to give you an inside chance to get a nursing position once you do graduate.

Good luck!
Ken, BSN, RN, CCRN, MICN

Careers: Nursing

Ken , BSN, RN, CCRN, MICN