Careers: Nursing/Editorial Work as a Nurse

Dear Ken,
I am currently working as a per diem nurse teaching Pediatric Advanced Life Support and full time as a critical care nurse for a twenty five bed intensive care unit. I live in rural North Dakota and my commute is an hour one way. I am looking for a position where I can work from home as a nurse. I have an extensive knowledge of critical care and emergency nursing. I was wondering if you knew of any opportunities in relation to nurses working at home.

Actually there least 2 opportunities that I am looking into now. One is teaching online from home. I am 15 credits away from my MSN in Nursing Admin which will allow me to teach online. It is actually mentoring where you facilitate the class and grade papers. There is not much actual teaching in the sense that we know it from our initial nursing school. I am doing my MSN online through:  which is totally online.

I have been doing 1 class a semester with summers off along with my full-time nursing job and am managing fine. It's a slow doable pace and my hospital covers almost all 3 classes with $5200 year tuition reimbursement. Why not work towards your MSN which will only open more doors. You can specialize in Nursing Education, Nursing Informatics or in Nursing Administration. I decided on the broader Administration for myself as you don't get pigeon holed into certain jobs with this more general degree. Informatics and Education kind of push you into those specific jobs.

Another up and coming field is Legal Nurse Consultant. Having a critical care background like we do is a good foundation. You have seen the ads...Be a Legal Nurse Consultant..Earn $100 an hour. Well its not as easy as that ....but...I went to the bigger library and picked up a book to read up on the subject. I have also seen the courses but I would never pay the thousands that they want.  I do have my eye on this:

It' $349 and claims to be all you need to know to start Legal Nurse Consulting. I am not sure if I am going to buy it but it looks interesting. It's over 600 pages and for the money, it would not be the end of the world if I bought it and it didn't pan out. Plus I could write it off as a nursing expense on my taxes.  Legal nurses do not have to go to court to testify unless you want to. Most of the legal nurses do the behind the scenes work of examining charts and writing reports for the attorneys showing where a claim could be made for the case. They also explain the medical jargon and compare the care given to the standards of nursing care.

Good luck!

Careers: Nursing

I can answer questions regarding all aspects of Nursing as a career in general. If you need help deciding if nursing is a career for you, then let me help you with your decision. As an added bonus, I can answer your questions from the perspective of being a man in nursing who has a wife that is also a nurse. Men is nursing is more accepted today than it was when I began in 1993. Regardless of your gender, Nursing has so much to offer and is among the most respected professions of our time. I have been a registered nurse since 1993 and have been certified in Critical Care nursing since 1996. I am currently a full-time Critical Care Ground Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN). I am working per diem as a night Shift Administrator/Nursing Supervisor.

My experience over the years since 1993 have been spent between the Emergency Room and the Critical Care Units. More recently since 2007 I have been working in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a Critical Care Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN)/Emergency Medical Technician(EMT). This unit is known as the Specialty Care Transport Unit(SCTU). I transport all age populations with critical medical problems from Hospital A to Hospital B in the back of an ambulance. My job is to make sure this patient remains in the same or better condition and to handle any emergency that may arise during the over the road transport. BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP/ITLS Certified Provider.

American Association of Critical Care Nurses Honor Society of Nursing, Upsilon Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International

BSN,Nursing/Pursuing MSN in Nursing Administration Critical Care Registered Nurse(CCRN)/ Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN)/ Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/ AAS Business Management

American Ambulance Association-2009 Star of Life Recipient