Careers: Nursing/Feeding tubes

My mother was having swallowing issues and it was decided she needed a feeding tube and has had communication issues since her stroke. She seems now to be where we don't need to run the feeding machine overnight anymore. And with a special diet and thickened beverages she seems to handle food well enough now. Is it common to close the feeding tube wound and maybe leave some part of the tubing inside until there comes a time when she might need it again? Basically getting rid of anything hanging out of her? I'm concerned about possible infections or her wandering hand grabbing at it.

Hello James,
Great question. If she is getting enough nutrition without the feeding tube, and her doctor is satisfied than yes, it can be removed but only with a doctors order. However if there is a chance she might develop problems again, then you would have it there and not need to get another surgery. The chance she might get an infection is minimal, as it is not a "sterile" environment. She could develop irritation at the site. And they (the staff) should have orders to flush the feeding tube daily to keep it patent. I hope this helps you James.
         Warmest regards, KathleenY2

Careers: Nursing

Kathleen RN

I can answer nursing questions related to medical nursing and preoperative and post operative nursing care. What to expect as you come into the hospital, questions to ask your doctor, what to expect postoperative. How to minimize your chances of post operative complications such as infection.

I am in charge of a thirty bed surgical unit on nights, twelve hour shifts. I am a resource person for new grads and new hires, I also work on the floor when not in charge and love bedside nursing.

Associates Degree in Nursing.

Surgical patients, medical patients, pysch patients, detox patients at times. Our hospital does not discriminate, and regardless of finances or insurance are taken care of. On my floor we take care of all general surgeries, orthopedics, neurosurgery, urology. No pediatrics, I have taken care of as young as four years old, but am not an expert on pediatrics. I will never divulge personal information because of HIPPA laws, and will not go out of my scope of practice.