Careers: Nursing/Job Shadow

Question
QUESTION: Hello Ken,

I may have to job shadow. What must I do to convince staff that I am a good fit? I have less than one year experience in Med-Surg.

Sincerely,

Court J

ANSWER: Court J:

I am not sure what field of nursing you are looking to job shadow for. However, you need to network and make friends with some nurses in the area you want to job shadow. If you are already in a MedSurg job at a hospital, it should be easy to shadow an area of nursing that you like.

Of course, it will be like volunteering...but..it could help you get your foot in the door if they like you. You probably want to talk to the Manager of the department where you would like to shadow and see if it would be ok to come in and help out.

If you are not already in a MedSurg job of the hospital that you would like to shadow in ...then that is going to be almost impossible. For legal and liability reasons, they wont let you shadow without being an employee first.

If you give me some more detail...maybe I could give you some better advice.

Good Luck!

Ken, BSN, RN, CCRN, MICN

QUESTION: Hello again Ken,

I am in a long-term care facility's Skilled Nursing Unit with some long-term residents, not a hospital. I was advised that I may be requested to job shadow after the interview at the hospital to see if I fit in and to see if the job is right for me. I applied for a position in a Progressive Care Unit. I feel that it will be a decent step to start off. I dream of going into CCU and becoming a CRNA in the next 5 years.

So, can you still give me some advice? I job shadowed before at another hospital last year on a different unit. They thought I was not interested. I observed and asked some questions. The nurse I shadowed thought I didn't ask enough questions.

Court J

Answer
Court J:

PCU is a very busy unit with lots of admissions and discharges on a daily basis. They are probably having a hard time staffing the unit which can give you an opportunity to get in to the unit at this hospital. Its one of the most difficult work environments because of the constant change in patient census.  

You just need to be energized and assist when they will allow you during the shadowing experience. Try to be involved with the preceptor and the patients which will show that you have interest. You may have been laid back on the last shadowing and they misunderstood it for lack of interest. Its understandable as everyone is nervous when they are in a different environment then they are used to.

I would let them know you are ready to sign up for the basic arrhythmia course and ACLS to be prepared for the PCU. Those will be the minimum requirements to take a position.

You really have to get along with the nurse that you will be shadowing as you saw from the last time, he or she really held the key to you being hired or not. Make sure you are asking higher level questions on the level of a monitored unit. You have to work hard to gain trust as they may prejudge you because you are coming from a nursing home background. There is nothing wrong with nursing home work, but many nurses will feel you don't have the background to work in a PCU.

You may want to ask if they have any Medical Surgical floor openings as you may feel more comfortable as a natural step up from the nursing home environment. PCU will have a lot of patients with cardiac arrhythmias to monitor and more IV drips such as Cardizem for rapid heart rates and Nitroglycerin for chest pain and preload reduction. It really is more of a stepping stone type job after doing some Med Surg.

Good Luck!

Ken, BSN,RN,CCRN,MICN

Careers: Nursing

Ken , BSN, RN, CCRN, MICN