Careers: Nursing/Working abroad as an RPN

Hi Ken,
I am not sure if you will be able to help me but any help will be greatly appreciated. I graduated last year August as an RPN, currently registered with CNO. I have not found a job yet though. I am thinking about moving to Minnesota. What is the process of working as an RPN there?

I'm not sure how Canada works with being an RPN. In the US we have LPN's and it is increasingly difficult to find work. Even the 2 year RN's are having a hard time now as hospitals are looking for BSN nurses.

Even doctors offices have started switching to using Medical Assistants over LPN's. Hospitals have phased out LPN's as well for the most part because the Joint Commission (TJC) has said that LPN's can not document patient assessments. Therefore you have to work under an RN who would then document the LPN's assessment. Many nurses refused to do this as they did not want to document someone elses assessment under their RN license. So hospitals stopped hiring LPN's as they left their positions. My hospital does not have any LPN's left.

LPN's are still being used in Nursing Homes and that is probably the best place to start. Some doctors offices may also still be using LPN's and that would be another avenue.

I would imagine that there may some reciprocation agreement between Canada and the US as I would guess the education is similar. I would contact the Minnesota Board of Nursing to see what paperwork you need to get a US LPN license switched over from Canada.

Good Luck!

Careers: Nursing

I can answer questions regarding all aspects of Nursing as a career in general. If you need help deciding if nursing is a career for you, then let me help you with your decision. As an added bonus, I can answer your questions from the perspective of being a man in nursing who has a wife that is also a nurse. Men is nursing is more accepted today than it was when I began in 1993. Regardless of your gender, Nursing has so much to offer and is among the most respected professions of our time. I have been a registered nurse since 1993 and have been certified in Critical Care nursing since 1996. I am currently a full-time Critical Care Ground Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN). I am working per diem as a night Shift Administrator/Nursing Supervisor.

My experience over the years since 1993 have been spent between the Emergency Room and the Critical Care Units. More recently since 2007 I have been working in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a Critical Care Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN)/Emergency Medical Technician(EMT). This unit is known as the Specialty Care Transport Unit(SCTU). I transport all age populations with critical medical problems from Hospital A to Hospital B in the back of an ambulance. My job is to make sure this patient remains in the same or better condition and to handle any emergency that may arise during the over the road transport. BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP/ITLS Certified Provider.

American Association of Critical Care Nurses Honor Society of Nursing, Upsilon Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International

BSN,Nursing/Pursuing MSN in Nursing Administration Critical Care Registered Nurse(CCRN)/ Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN)/ Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/ AAS Business Management

American Ambulance Association-2009 Star of Life Recipient