Careers: Nursing/PCU new hire

Hello Ken,

I was newly hired to work on a Medicine-Progressive Care Unit at an urban hospital in my area after spending one year in long-term care (nursing homes). I was excited to work in PCU because I thought it would be more interesting than simple Med-Surg. Also, I knew I would need to understand dysrhythmias cause I THINK I would like to get into Critical Care to become a CRNA.

LTC was my first job experience after graduating from an ADN. I would like to obtain my BSN in the near future. Do you think I should have considered basic Med-Surg after being in nursing homes instead of (happily) jumping to a PCU? I just want your opinion. There are some trachs, ETOH abuse/withdrawal, cardiac monitors/telemetry, Heparin drips, TPNs, etc.

Court J

Court J:

I would look into for your BSN program. I did my BSN online here while working full time doing just one class a semester. It is very convenient.

As far as your being on can do it as long as you get the training. You need to take basic arrhythmia and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) before you start on the floor. This will give you the base education to start on a monitored floor.

You should also try to take the critical care course if they offer it at your hospital. It will give you a more stable base of knowledge to get you started.

I would also study up on Heparin drips and Cardizem drips. Those are probably the main drips associated in the PCU area of nursing.

Good Luck!  

Careers: Nursing

I can answer questions regarding all aspects of Nursing as a career in general. If you need help deciding if nursing is a career for you, then let me help you with your decision. As an added bonus, I can answer your questions from the perspective of being a man in nursing who has a wife that is also a nurse. Men is nursing is more accepted today than it was when I began in 1993. Regardless of your gender, Nursing has so much to offer and is among the most respected professions of our time. I have been a registered nurse since 1993 and have been certified in Critical Care nursing since 1996. I am currently a full-time Critical Care Ground Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN). I am working per diem as a night Shift Administrator/Nursing Supervisor.

My experience over the years since 1993 have been spent between the Emergency Room and the Critical Care Units. More recently since 2007 I have been working in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a Critical Care Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN)/Emergency Medical Technician(EMT). This unit is known as the Specialty Care Transport Unit(SCTU). I transport all age populations with critical medical problems from Hospital A to Hospital B in the back of an ambulance. My job is to make sure this patient remains in the same or better condition and to handle any emergency that may arise during the over the road transport. BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP/ITLS Certified Provider.

American Association of Critical Care Nurses Honor Society of Nursing, Upsilon Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International

BSN,Nursing/Pursuing MSN in Nursing Administration Critical Care Registered Nurse(CCRN)/ Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN)/ Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/ AAS Business Management

American Ambulance Association-2009 Star of Life Recipient