Careers: Nursing/How to standout as a new grad

Hello, I plan to move to Denver, CO as a new grad in January. I have done some research about Denver job market, and it seems like it is tough market for new grads as supply is much higher than demand. My question is: how do you stand out and land a first job as a new grad in a tough job market? What do you do to network and make connection in a new city without knowing anybody?

Unfortunately, as you know.... even nurses are having a hard time finding work right out of school. If you have a Bachelors 4 year degree it will be easier than a 2 year degree nowadays.

I usually recommend that nursing students get a nurses aide job in the hospital they plan on working at first. Once you get inside..its easier to transition to a nursing job after graduation as you can network with nurses and managers from the inside as a nurses aide. However, if you are moving to a new area, this will be difficult to do. If you can get a nurses aide job where you are now, then maybe you can get in as a nurse there and postpone the move to Denver until after have gotten some experience under your belt.

I have recommended that nurses put applications in all nearby hospitals as well as nursing homes to get started right out of school. Getting nursing home experience will get you into a hospital med surg floor much easier. I would also take classes like basic arrhythmia and Advanced Cardiac Life Support(ACLS) that will show recruiters that you are willing to go above and beyond as a new grad.

Nurses with experience are not facing the same problems that new nurses are today. This is because it is expensive to orient and train a new nurse who may leave to another hospital after getting trained. Experience nurses are cheaper start ups as they only need maybe a few days of orientation to the new hospital as opposed to 3 months for a new grad.

Many experienced nurses have 2 or 3 jobs like myself without any problems at all. The key is getting your foot in the door and getting the experience. Then it will not be difficult to get other jobs to supplement your main job.

Good Luck!

Careers: Nursing

I can answer questions regarding all aspects of Nursing as a career in general. If you need help deciding if nursing is a career for you, then let me help you with your decision. As an added bonus, I can answer your questions from the perspective of being a man in nursing who has a wife that is also a nurse. Men is nursing is more accepted today than it was when I began in 1993. Regardless of your gender, Nursing has so much to offer and is among the most respected professions of our time. I have been a registered nurse since 1993 and have been certified in Critical Care nursing since 1996. I am currently a full-time Critical Care Ground Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN). I am working per diem as a night Shift Administrator/Nursing Supervisor.

My experience over the years since 1993 have been spent between the Emergency Room and the Critical Care Units. More recently since 2007 I have been working in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a Critical Care Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN)/Emergency Medical Technician(EMT). This unit is known as the Specialty Care Transport Unit(SCTU). I transport all age populations with critical medical problems from Hospital A to Hospital B in the back of an ambulance. My job is to make sure this patient remains in the same or better condition and to handle any emergency that may arise during the over the road transport. BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP/ITLS Certified Provider.

American Association of Critical Care Nurses Honor Society of Nursing, Upsilon Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International

BSN,Nursing/Pursuing MSN in Nursing Administration Critical Care Registered Nurse(CCRN)/ Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN)/ Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/ AAS Business Management

American Ambulance Association-2009 Star of Life Recipient