Careers: Nursing/Nursing career

HI Ken,
I see we have a bit in common - as I have also spent my majority of my career in Cardiothoracic Intensive Care nursing - evolving into Data /Quality/ Research - and now currently at Disease Management Program coordinator for cardiovascular - I am graduating in the next 10 weeks from Drexel University with my Master's in Nursing - Leadership /administration track. My question is where to go from here- I have a strong interest in community awareness - and process improvement initiatives but no longer want to be the front man for the data abstraction. I am interested in nursing at a legislative approach as well as legal nursing but have no idea on how to merge into these areas of nursing - any advice or guidance you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Vanessa

Sorry for the delay.... I worked a couple night shifts in a row and am now just getting around to emails.  Congratulations on your upcoming MSN!

Well....the obvious area would be to go into a Leadership Management type position with your background. If you don't like managing a specific unit then I recommend ADN/Shift Administration work.

Hospital Supervisor is a nice position of authority without the responsibility of having a unit to run in respect to budgeting, employee evaluations and day to day operations of a single unit.  Doing overall hospital supervisor allows for freedom to handle the day to day challenges of an entire hospital and then turning it over to the relieving administrator or ADN after an 8 or 12 hour shift in my case.

I enjoy the administrative duties and it is nice just go home without having to handle problems of any specific unit once you clock out. Your role will be to notify department managers of any problems you have with unit employees or issues and they will handle the long term problem. You will just handle the immediate situation that arises. No employees calling you at all hours of the night and no allegiance to any specific unit.

I thought about legal nursing at one point myself, however, it takes a while to become trusted as a legal expert and to get a leg into the law firms. You can do the testifying in court or just the background chart investigational work. Either way it will be a challenge to get work on a continuing basis. I see ads for $100 per hour, yes...however, you don't have that type of work and pay 8 hours of every day. It is kind of like the plumber who hits you up for $150 emergency may be his only job that day so he needs to charge you dearly for his one time effort.

Regardless, your MSN will be a key to many positions out there in the Nursing realm. I still prefer 1:1 care on my main transport position and will probably continue that until I can not get in and out of an

You probably already know deep down where you prefer to practice and should work your way into that scenario as you support yourself and your family in your current position.  You are prepared at the MSN level to handle a variety of positions so the doors will be wide open for you.  

Hope that helps some...

Good Luck!

Careers: Nursing

I can answer questions regarding all aspects of Nursing as a career in general. If you need help deciding if nursing is a career for you, then let me help you with your decision. As an added bonus, I can answer your questions from the perspective of being a man in nursing who has a wife that is also a nurse. Men is nursing is more accepted today than it was when I began in 1993. Regardless of your gender, Nursing has so much to offer and is among the most respected professions of our time. I have been a registered nurse since 1993 and have been certified in Critical Care nursing since 1996. I am currently a full-time Critical Care Ground Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN). I am working per diem as a night Shift Administrator/Nursing Supervisor.

My experience over the years since 1993 have been spent between the Emergency Room and the Critical Care Units. More recently since 2007 I have been working in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a Critical Care Transport Nurse/Mobile Intensive Care Nurse(MICN)/Emergency Medical Technician(EMT). This unit is known as the Specialty Care Transport Unit(SCTU). I transport all age populations with critical medical problems from Hospital A to Hospital B in the back of an ambulance. My job is to make sure this patient remains in the same or better condition and to handle any emergency that may arise during the over the road transport. BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP/ITLS Certified Provider.

American Association of Critical Care Nurses Honor Society of Nursing, Upsilon Rho Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International

BSN,Nursing/Pursuing MSN in Nursing Administration Critical Care Registered Nurse(CCRN)/ Mobile Intensive Care Nurse (MICN)/ Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)/ AAS Business Management

American Ambulance Association-2009 Star of Life Recipient