Careers: Physics/i want to study theoretical physics

i am from Pakistan. i am currently studying Telecommunication Engineering. I got a lot of passion for Theoretical Physics or mathematical physics. Currently i am studying Electro magnetic field theory subjects, can i continue my studies in Theoretical physics after this field of engineering.

Hello Waleed:

Of course you can continue your studies if you have enough determination.  You will probably need a M.S. in Pakistan before you can enter a graduate program elsewhere.  If you can do it in Physics, that will be the best opportunity for you to proceed with your plan.  Make sure you study classical and quantum mechanics before you start in a physics program though as those are the missing components for an Electrical Engineer.

If you look at some of my previously answered questions, you will find all sorts of suggestions for students in your exact situation.  I won't repeat them here but those links will have the kind of information you want.

Good Luck!

Careers: Physics

Carlo Segre

I can answer most questions about studying physics in college and graduate school; questions about condensed matter physics; x-ray physics; synchrotron radiation; and general and modern physics. I can also answer questions about careers in academia.

Professor of physics for 30 years at Illinois Institute of Technology. Academic adviser for undergraduates and graduate students. I have served on university promotion and tenure committees, search committees for Deans and Department Chairs. I have also been an Associate Department Chair and an Associate Dean. I have 34 years experience in materials science research and I have been responsible for building and now managing a User facility at the Advanced Photon Source.

American Physical Society
Sigma Xi
American Chemical Society
American Associate for the Advancement of Science
International Centre for Diffraction Data (Fellow)
International X-ray Absorption Society

Nature; Physical Review Letters; Physical Review; Applied Physics Letters; Journal of Physical Chemistry; Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials; Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics; Solid State Communications; Physics Letters; Journal of Low Temperature Physics; Journal of Crystal Growth and Design; Physics Letters; Journal of Applied Physics; Journal of Archaeological Science; Physica C; Corrosion Science; Electrochimica Acta; Journal of Nuclear Materials

Ph.D. Physics, 1981 - University of California, San Diego
M.S. Physics, 1977 - University of California, San Diego
B.S. Physics, 1976 - University of illinois, Champaign-Urbana
B.S. Chemistry 1976 - University of illinois, Champaign-Urbana

Duchossois Leadership Professor of Physics, IIT Fellow, International Center for Diffraction Data