Careers: Physics/Particle Physics

Question
Sir,
I am very interested in particle physics.Right now,I am pursuing    B Tech Chemical Engineering in India.I want to know about the possible options i have to pursue a career in future related to particle physics.Is Nuclear engineering related to particle physics?
Is it possible for me to do a MS degree in Nuclear engineering and then a Ph.D. in Particle physics?
Thank you for your time.
Sanjuna

Answer
Dear Sanjuna.

Nuclear engineering is not closely related to particle physics.  If you wish to move into particle physics, you should do it right after the BTech if possible by getting a Masters in physics.  If you are unable to enter a physics program immediately the nuclear engineering is probably as good as any, but you must be aware that you will likely be asked to start with a M.S. in physics before moving to a PhD program.  As an engineering major, you are missing a number of core competencies in physics.  These include quantum theory, electrodynamics, and classical dynamics.

Good luck!

Careers: Physics

Carlo Segre