Careers: Physics/study quantum mechanics

Question
I am a 19 year old student from India. I am studying in first year of engineering but i want to study quantum mechanics in whatever time i get. I am not able to figure out where to start. Should i get a standard text on QM or first start with the math ?. I dont know what level of math the subject requires. I wanted to buy feynman lecture series but many articles said that it is not for beginners and does not contain rigorous math.please suggest some book(s) to start with.The only physics text i have is 8th edition of resnick-halliday-walker.
Thank you.

Answer
Hi Ajay:

Before you can really study QM, you will need to have completed a course in differential equations.  By the second year of your engineering you will have that experience.  Then get yourself a real Modern Physics text, such as Tipler, and study that.  Once you have completed that, you can approach a serious QM text such as the one by Griffiths.  A course in applied differential equations (like classical mechanics) and a course in matrix methods would also be advisable.

Basically, QM is not a subject you can really learn in the first year of university.  Whether you are an engineering major or a physics major.  It is a third year course and you need the tools that are developed in the first years to be able to do more than simply have vague notions of the subject.

Cheers,

Carlo

Careers: Physics

Carlo Segre