Careers: Physics/enginnering to physics switchover.

Question
Respected sir,
I'm an engineering student in the field of electronics and telecommunication. I'm in the first year of the course, and I'm pretty sure that I'm least interested in engineering, and I'm looking for a switchover. I'm planning to do an MS in physics from a US university after graduation, and you have kindly advised me on that topic. Thank you for that. But in the past few days, I'd figured out that a lot of PhDs in US and Canada, actually go unemployed. So, can you please tell me the kind of jobs that PhDs in physics do. Also, please tell me about the market for PhDs and unemployment too.

Answer
Dear Rohit:

Employment predictions are difficult since the Ph.D. takes about 4-5 years and I don't know anyone who has a crystal ball that can see that far in the future.

What I can say is that as a trained physicist, you should not have a problem finding employment if you are flexible in the kind of work you are seeking.  You might not be a university professor at a research university (if that is your goal) since that is a very long road and hard to pursue, but companies in lots of fields like the background that a physicist has in experimentation, computation and modeling (depending somewhat on your area of specialization).  I know physicists who are college teachers in non-research universities or community colleges.

Physicists find employment in the legal profession (patent law), in the financial area, in national laboratories and corporate research.  Many physicists become software developers or engineers in companies. The key is to be able to sell your skills to the prospective employer.

The reasons for getting a Ph.D. in physics should be first, because you are passionate about the subject and second, because you would regret not doing it later in life.  If you are very good and select your research advisor well, you will be able to get a postdoctoral appointment (or two) and then compete for faculty positions but that is small fraction of the physicists who get a Ph.D.

Cheers

Careers: Physics

Carlo Segre