Careers: Physics/new materials

is there any materials which got the energy or got recharged from body electricity without being implanted into body. only staying under skin or organs

In my imagination, if scientist develop very very small nano chip which has the function of gps and antenna, and people inhale or eat without notice  and stay in human body....

So satellie and antenna traking the gps and shoot the elecromagnetic wave directly from the long distance, it could give person die or hurt. (becasue of the science development and nano tech development, I sometimes imagine this kinds of thinking)

of course, the tale is almost science fiction ,but I want to know whether it is right or wrong with the help of expert knowlege.

ANSWER: Hi terry,

I do not know of any "materials" of the kind you mention.  I do know that many researchers are in engineering are trying to develop energy harvesting "devices" that are worn on the body.  These are not yet as small as you imagine in your question.  If you do an internet search on energy harvesting and wearable, you will find many such articles.

I suppose that if a tracking device could be built small enough with energy harvesting it might be possible to do what you suggest but I don't think that a nano-scale such device yet exists.

In principle what you have described is possible although I doubt it has yet been achieved.  Nevertheless, it is unwise to say it can never be done given the fact that we now have cell phones that could only have been described as science fiction when I was growing up.

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer.
May I ask last query.
If we search smallest GPS receiver, certain company developed hair sized gps0.01mm.
And if we find self charging material, there is some material working with body heat.
And I also learned that it need capacity or charger because body energy is very weak to make gps system work with satellite
What I want to know is it possible to make such kinds of gps receiver with antenna and capcity with the shape of 1 or 2cm hair and weight of hair.
Until now, it is impossible, I understand all the informatio  from Internet is fiction until now.
Thank you

Well, I think that it might be possible but I would be foolish to say yes for sure and equally foolish to say no.  Since I am not directly in that field, i am unable to assess the current state of technology but I bet someone is working on such a thing.

Careers: Physics

Carlo Segre

I can answer most questions about studying physics in college and graduate school; questions about condensed matter physics; x-ray physics; synchrotron radiation; and general and modern physics. I can also answer questions about careers in academia.

Professor of physics for 30 years at Illinois Institute of Technology. Academic adviser for undergraduates and graduate students. I have served on university promotion and tenure committees, search committees for Deans and Department Chairs. I have also been an Associate Department Chair and an Associate Dean. I have 34 years experience in materials science research and I have been responsible for building and now managing a User facility at the Advanced Photon Source.

American Physical Society
Sigma Xi
American Chemical Society
American Associate for the Advancement of Science
International Centre for Diffraction Data (Fellow)
International X-ray Absorption Society

Nature; Physical Review Letters; Physical Review; Applied Physics Letters; Journal of Physical Chemistry; Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials; Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics; Solid State Communications; Physics Letters; Journal of Low Temperature Physics; Journal of Crystal Growth and Design; Physics Letters; Journal of Applied Physics; Journal of Archaeological Science; Physica C; Corrosion Science; Electrochimica Acta; Journal of Nuclear Materials

Ph.D. Physics, 1981 - University of California, San Diego
M.S. Physics, 1977 - University of California, San Diego
B.S. Physics, 1976 - University of illinois, Champaign-Urbana
B.S. Chemistry 1976 - University of illinois, Champaign-Urbana

Duchossois Leadership Professor of Physics, IIT Fellow, International Center for Diffraction Data