Careers: Physics/help

Question
QUESTION: Hello sir

Sir i am not understanding what is matter. I know the anything which has mass and which occupies space is called matter.If matter is just a another name for everthing which has mass and which occupies space, then matter include everything around us and everything around us have many names on their structure , then why there is a need to name on basis of having mass nd occupying space.

ANSWER: Dear Apsara:

Unfortunately, your question is not very clear.  Yes, matter has mass and occupies space but it is not everything that is around us.  Light is not matter and it clearly exists as an aspect of electromagnetic radiation.  I don't understand what you are trying to ask when you say:

"then matter include everything around us and everything around us have many names on their
  structure , then why there is a need to name on basis of having mass and occupying space."

What names are you referring to here?

Cheers,

Carlo

QUESTION: Hello sir

Sir i want to  ask that everything around us , which has mass and which occupy space, why they have named them as matter, because like soil it is matter, and it is substance, air, it is gas ect have their own classification then why there is a need to classify as matter, i want to ask that why they have classifeid, what is the use of that.

Unfortunately, iam able to ask my question clealy, is it clear or i want to ask more clealy.

If it so

sIR MATTHER MEANS WHICH HAS MASS AND WHICH OCCUPY SPACE. iHAVE A CONFUSION IS WHY THEY HAVE CLASSIFIED, WHAT IS USE OF NAMING THINGS AS MATTER BECAUSE EVERYTHING WHICH HAS MASS AND WHICH OCCUPY SPACE, SCIENTIST HAVE GIVEN NAMES TO THEM AS MATERIALS, RESOUCES,OBJECTS, THINGS, THEN WHY THEY HAVE TO NAME THEM AS MATTER.

tHIS IS MY CONFUSION.pLEASE CLEAR IT AND I ASKED ONE MY TEACHER SHE EXPLAINED THERE IS NO ANSWER FOR IT,BUT IF THERE IS NO ANSWER FOR THAT, WHY SCIENTIST HAVE NAMED, THEN, WHY WE ARE USING, IN SCIENCE ALWAYSTHERE IS AN ANSWER FORWHY AND HOW.

tHANKS

ANSWER: Hi Apsara:

Matter is the technical term for protons, neutrons, electrons and everything made up of them.  This includes gases, liquids and all solids as well as all forms of life.  Of course we have more specific names for particular types of matter because it is useful to classify matter as solid, liquid or gas.  nevertheless, it is all made up of the same three building blocks, protons, neutrons and electrons.

matter is the general classification and the specific names are justto divide the classifications into finder subcategories.

Cheers,

Carlo

QUESTION: Sir but matter is made up of particles how they are made up of protons nuetrons and electrons.

Sir my second confusion matter means anything which has mass and which occupyes space but u told it is the technical tetm of protons neutron and electron and materials made up of them.

My third confusion matter means any thing which have mass and which occupy  then why they have divided 5 stated why sir.

Answer
You really need to formulate your question more carefully.  It seems to me that you are simply repeating the same question again.  I do not see how I can answer it any differently than what I have already.  Protons, neutrons and electrons (as well as neutrinos, and other particles) are all matter.  They have different names because each of them has different properties.  Neutrons have no charge, electrons have negative charge and protons have positive charge.  The mass of neutrons and protons is very nearly the same but electrons are 2000 times lighter.  Why would I wish to call the all by the same name if I can tell them apart by their physical properties?

Protons, neutrons and electrons are the building blocks of atoms which make up molecules and everything around us (including us).

I suggest, that asking these kinds of questions is not going to help you understand quickly.  I do not know what age you are but if you are in High School, you should have probably taken a chemistry course.  This will help you understand how atoms are made.  Please read that part of the book again.  If you are younger, then find a high school chemistry book and read those chapters.  Once you have read these, if you have more subtle questions about matter (such as how matter and energy are really the same) then you can read about that or ask some more specific questions.

Careers: Physics

Carlo Segre