Careers: Physics/PHYSICS

Dear Mr. Segre,

I hope this finds you well.

I am a senior high school student interested in two subjects that is Physics and Geography, but haven't found much career opportunities involving BOTH the subjects. I would like your advice on what areas do you know which can incorporate these and also what scope they have in the future?

Thank you so much for your time and effort!

Hi Megha:

I am not sure that there are any specific careers which involve both physics and geography.  However, I am pretty sure that there are a number of people with physics training who are working in the fields listed on this web page from the American Association of Geographers.

Another possible area which might be interesting for you is Environmental Science which some of my colleagues call Biogeophysics.

However, this is not really geography.  The bottom line is that if you study physics, you have lots of options as to careers because what you learn is how to approach problems and solve them from first principles.  This is applicable to lots of fields and a college education is not vocational training but teaches you how to learn new things on your own.

Careers: Physics

Carlo Segre

I can answer most questions about studying physics in college and graduate school; questions about condensed matter physics; x-ray physics; synchrotron radiation; and general and modern physics. I can also answer questions about careers in academia.

Professor of physics for 30 years at Illinois Institute of Technology. Academic adviser for undergraduates and graduate students. I have served on university promotion and tenure committees, search committees for Deans and Department Chairs. I have also been an Associate Department Chair and an Associate Dean. I have 34 years experience in materials science research and I have been responsible for building and now managing a User facility at the Advanced Photon Source.

American Physical Society
Sigma Xi
American Chemical Society
American Associate for the Advancement of Science
International Centre for Diffraction Data (Fellow)
International X-ray Absorption Society

Nature; Physical Review Letters; Physical Review; Applied Physics Letters; Journal of Physical Chemistry; Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials; Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics; Solid State Communications; Physics Letters; Journal of Low Temperature Physics; Journal of Crystal Growth and Design; Physics Letters; Journal of Applied Physics; Journal of Archaeological Science; Physica C; Corrosion Science; Electrochimica Acta; Journal of Nuclear Materials

Ph.D. Physics, 1981 - University of California, San Diego
M.S. Physics, 1977 - University of California, San Diego
B.S. Physics, 1976 - University of illinois, Champaign-Urbana
B.S. Chemistry 1976 - University of illinois, Champaign-Urbana

Duchossois Leadership Professor of Physics, IIT Fellow, International Center for Diffraction Data