Careers: Police/my life in corrections

Mr.wagoner i am obtaining my ged and am wanting to follow several family members in the law enforcement career and corrections i have a misdameanor possesion of marijuana and poss of thc paraphnelia when i was 20 i violated my probation and recieved 30 days in jail and got a adjudication withheld im 24 now and have two sons and am realy wanted a career in law for a sense of pride and a better life for my family would this stop me from being a correctional officer in the state of florida for fldoc would realy like to know if this will stop me if so i will not try and get my hopes up will continue in restraunt work thank you and god bless

Good Morning Timothy,

Well I have to say that your prior arrest record will make it very very difficult for you to get hired by most agencies I think you have a decent chance at being hired by the Florida Department of Corrections. They are so far down in manpower that they are really looking for people who are willing to put forth effort and get through the corrections class and make a real career out of the job. They're a little bit more forgiving than the County correctional facilities or law enforcement agencies.

What I would do is call your local Department of Corrections recruiter in your area, you can find them on the website usually, and speak to them directly about your past and what you want to do and they should be able to give you a pretty good idea of whether or not you would even be considered.

Although it's only been four years since your last encounter I think if you speak to them about how you are now a parent and responsible individual and realize your mistakes in the past that might go a long way in helping to encourage them to consider you for a position.

Good luck in whatever you choose and I wish you the best, and God bless you also and your family.

Careers: Police

Chris Wagoner

I have been a police officer for 30+ years! I am the Police Academy Commander at the Santa Fe College, Institute of Public Safety in Gainesville Florida It is a full service Law Enforcement and Corrections training facility. I can answer most questions concerning law enforcement procedures, law enforcement training and general questions about law enforcment. I can also answer questions about becoming a law enfocement officer. I have a booklet and web page I have written that answers many questions about how to become a police officer called "So you want to be a cop (police Officer) in Florida?", which is free, Google it.. All you have to do is ask. I teach the following subjects: RADAR/LASER, Law Enforcement Driving, Law Enforcement Firearms and Patrol Techniques, Officer Safety, WMD's for Patrol Officers, Application of Law, Communications skills, Dealing with the Mentally and physically handicapped, and many more subjects. I have worked as a subject matter expert for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and helped to write the police curriculum for the State of Florida. I like answering questions about how to become a police officer, and questions about why did an officer do this or that type questions. I also like answering any questions you may have about police work in general. I do not mind helping with homework questions or trying to answer your questions about legal subjects that I have knowledge of. You will never know the answer until you ask! If you do ask a question, PLEASE take the time to at least rate the answer. I do not get paid to answer these questions and do it on my own time. If you ask, please rate it when I answer. Thanks!!! If its a question about becoming a police officer, it may be answered here: My "hobby" website - Military Videos on YouTube and Facebook!!

I am a 30+ year veteran police officer, I am currently the Police Academy Commander of an Academy in North FLorida. I have been training police officers since 1993 and have trained them in all aspects of law enforcement, including firearms, Driving and legal subjects including patrol techniques and others and training all over the world. I have trained over 5000 officers worldwide in the last 16 years of training.

I am a published author in Accident Investigation from the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. Also have written and published on the Internet, "So You Want to be a Cop (Police Officer) in Florida?" you can Google it..

I have 2 degrees, in Criminal Justice.

Phi Theta Kappa, plus 50+ Departmental Awards over the years. FBI Directors award for assisting in a Nationwide investigation into Child pornography.