Careers: Police/How to become a police officer in California

Dear Jason,

my name is Adrian, I am 25 years old ( US Citizen) but I grew up in Germany so I dont have much work experiece in the US. I am going to take my law degree at University afterwards IŽd love to start a career in any field of law enforcement. Its always been my bigest dream to live in the States especially California or Florida.

Now what should I attention to and what shall I do to realize my drem? I am a bit afraid because of my german accent ( You know greewing up in Germany attending german Kindergarden, School, Highschool and University...

Can you give me any detailed Infromation about the requierements and the usual recrutation process and the estimatet sallary of a police officer or any other law enforcement officer?

What do you think how are my chances?

I think your chances are decent.  Don't worry about the accent,  as long as you can speak English it's ok.  

The recruitment process is different for each agency state by state and even county by county.   My best advice is to check websites (you can find agencies by google search) which almost always have detailed information about what they want you to do, and how, as well as what their minimum requirements are.  They will also have starting salaries (again, each agency is different in that area as well).     Websites will also have contact information, usually of a recruiting officer.  

Best of luck!

Careers: Police

Jason Grabill

General Maryland Law Enforcement, Maryland Law & Traffic Law, the Court System. How to start the process to become a Police Officer, different Police careers, the Interview process, General Police career questions

18 Years experience as a local and Federal Police officer. In addition to working "the road", I've worked as an Academy Instructor, Law Digest Compiler for Police Department, Community Policing coordinator, Department Gang officer, Bike Patrol Officer, and Advanced Accident Investigator. I've also served on the SWAT/SRT team, and currently work for the Department of Army Police (Federal Civilian) at Fort Detrick, Frederick Md, as a Sergeant. I'm Certified as a Police and Emergency Medical dispatcher through the National Academies of Emergency Dispatch.

Police Marksman Association Fraternal Order of Police

South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy
Prince Georges County Maryland Municipal Police Academy, Western Maryland Police Academy
Radar, Portable Breath Test, PR-24 Police Baton, ASP, Police Mountain Bike Certified. Maryland Police Training Commission Basic Instructor Certified. CALEA Certified Field Training Officer (FTO), Advanced Criminal Investigator School, Advanced Crash Investigator School, National Academies of Emergency Dispatch Certified Emergency Police Dispatch, Emergency Medical Dispatch, Emergency Telecommunications Operator.

Police Officer of the Year, Prince Georges County Municipal Police Chiefs Association (1995).
City of District Heights Police Officer of the Year, 1995.
Distinguished Service Cross for Valor, 1995 (National Association Chiefs of Police).