Careers: Police/Epilepsy/Seizure

Question
Hi I am a 18 and a senior in high school. I really want to become a police officer. It is a dream job and makes my parents proud. One thing that scares me though is that when I was a baby I had seizures. But not any more. I haven't had any seizures since I was a baby but I am still taking meds (Depakote)recommended by the doctor. What I want to know is if this will stop me from being a police officer.

Answer
Hmmm.   Each department has different medical standards, usually set up by the state they are in.  I don't think this will totally stop you, but different agencies 'think' differently...in other words, the CHP may not take  you, but a city or county force might.  You will have to discover, on your own (because each situation is different), if the agencies will accept this, or reject it.   Overall, I'd say that if your issues aren't that serious, and under medication control, they will probably say you are ok.   BUT...there are some that may not and simply refuse to clear you.   All will require a doctor saying you can do the job, you can bet on that fact above all else.   If your doctor won't 'clear' you for the work, then the agencies won't, either.

I do wish you the best of luck!

Jason

Careers: Police

Jason Grabill