Careers: Police/Non-US citizen joining US police force

Good Evening,

Please can you advise whether I would be eligible to apply for a position with the United States police force. It has been my ambition to join for a number of years and as my wife is about to complete her contract of employment, I feel it is the right time to explore whether this career would be an option for me. I am a currently serving in the UK armed forces with 15 years experience and a number of qualifications. I have served in various combat roles including sniper platoon but currently I am a fully qualified combat medic, with certificates in advanced life support, pre-hospital emergency health care and team medic instructor.

If you could offer any advice about the options available to me if any and further steps I may need to take.

Yours Sincerely

Mr Jody Long

Jody, I'm not sure I can answer your question completely in that I have been retired for some time.  I would suggest you contact Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Recruitment unit at 4700 Ramona Blvd., Monterey Park, California, 91754, USA.  I do recall a number of UK expats who were members of our department (we have about 13,000 sworn officers).  There is a citizenship requirement however, those with green cards and who have applied for citizenship are eligible to apply.  The Sheriff's Dept. has over 240 different law enforcement jobs, so I would recommend channeling you interests to larger departments.  Your first step, however, would be to contact the Recruitment Unit to find our what hoops you will have to bounce through.  Good luck!

Careers: Police

Dick Rogers

I`ve spent twenty-five years in law enforcement as a state trooper and deputy sheriff. Retired as a lead homicide investigator. My interest is in answering questions dealing with ethical and moral dilemmas facing officers in the field.