Hello Sir
I was wondering if police departments have a database system that have records of past solved or unsolved cases,which can be used to find cases with same or similar MO{much like the national finger print records system}.

Thank you for your time.

Acbar, when I retired from law enforcement,they were just starting to establish data systems that would incorporate events such as you describe.  Initial efforts involved word  processors that had field units wherein things such as weapons used, MO, specific features of the criminal act, i.e., bite marks, ligature strangulation, etc.  With the capability of computers today, it is an easy task to query data bases around the country and tie in similar cases.  It was a long time in coming however.  Hope this helps.

Careers: Police

Dick Rogers

I`ve spent twenty-five years in law enforcement as a state trooper and deputy sheriff. Retired as a lead homicide investigator. My interest is in answering questions dealing with ethical and moral dilemmas facing officers in the field.