Careers: Police/Police Application Disqualification

Question
Hi Dick,

I was just wondering if an application for a police officer might automatically get disqualified if you were honest enough to put that you didn't show up to work and ultimately got fired. And if you don't mention the job at all on the application, will the background investigation reveal that information?

Answer
Thomas, I wouldn't worry too much about this.  Unless this is a job you've held for years, and you have had a long history of not showing up for work, it could be explained away, such as, "I left this job because I had other more important things to take care of at the time."  If this was one of your first jobs, it is unlikely they would determine you even held it.  Try to accent the positive and minimize the negative.

Careers: Police

Dick Rogers