Careers: Police/Automatic DQ question...

Question
Jason-

I graduated with Bachelors in CJ in August and have since been steadily testing and going through the hiring process with a few major departments in the west/midwest area. Things had going great so far, having been offered conditionals at a few places, or placed high on the hiring list of others. I thought my background was impeccable until yesterday when I hit a snag that has put the fear of god in me.
My #1 choice of departments sent me an automatic DQ letter before I even had the chance to fly out and test with them. They have you fill out a 50 page application/PBQ before you even test. I did so and had it mailed to them the very first day the job opened.
Their letter was very generic, telling me that I have been DQ'd, I have no right to ask or appeal why, and I can reapply in 2.5 years.
Everything is perfect in my background except my driving record. Its not horrible, but its not perfect. I have a total of 8 speeding tickets but only 2 in the last 4 years. There is nothing else on the record. No collisions, no DUI's, no suspensions, nothing.
Now, I have no idea if that is what DQ'd me but its the only thing possibly could.

My question for you is:

1) How do I find out why I got DQ'd? There has to be a way, despite them telling me in the letter that there isn't.

2) Does the driving record I outlined justify the auto DQ I received in most or all police departments?

3) If it does, am I wasting my damn time trying to be a police officer? Am I just gonna get DQ'd from these other departments that I have conditionals from as soon as they check my driving record?

4) If I'm screwed for not being a perfect driver, and cant be a police officer, what else can I do with my CJ degree?

Thanks

Answer
Craig:

Some states and agencies are different.  Your driving record doesn't even sound close to being at the DQ level for most states.

And while you can call the agency and ask to speak with a recruiter, chances are very good that they'll stick with the policy they have in place.  Unless you 'know' someone on the inside, you'll never know why.

I don't think you are wasting your time.  Get used to seeing DQ letters though, many agencies DQ people several times, and with some it is just to see how committed you really are.  Yeah, it's dumb.   But larger well known outfits will sometimes have 5000 applicants for 30 slots.   

Keep on trying.  Best advice I can give.  

Careers: Police

Jason Grabill