Careers: Police/A follow up question

Hi jack,
When the police officer first shows up, what is the extent of his questions. Would he want to know what the baby was wearing, what kind of car her boyfriend was driving, license plate...etc?

Then you said that the officer or a detective would follow up. Would he ask for more information from her at that point? My character would be persistent. She would call almost daily to follow up. What would be the procedure then?

Hello there Henya,

Here is the problem.  An adult has the right to be missing.  He can go wherever he wants at anytime and has no obligation to the girl friend at all.  The baby complicates matters.  Since they are not married and there does not appear to be any court order about custody of the baby then, sad to say, the father (boyfriend) can take the baby anywhere he wants to.  It would not be the moral thing to do but there are no laws against what he did.

To make the mother feel better I bet that the officer would take a full description of both the boyfriend and the baby and the car.  But unless there was a reason to suspect that the baby was endangered I am not sure that the descriptions and the tag number would be entered into the nationwide computer because no crime has been committed.

Since the officer had to clear this as a missing person(s) to fit in with your scenario the report would be forwarded to a detective unless this is in some rural area with a ten man police department.  If that is the case then the officer would handle the case himself.  If it was my book I would make it a mid-sized department so it would be a given that a detective would get hold of the report.

If the mother called everyday then the detective would talk to her everyday.  First he would want proof that this baby actually exists and if the boyfriend has any mental issues. He would want to know why the boyfriend would take off in the middle of the night with the baby.  That would take a face-to-face interview because he (the detective) would suspect that she was concealing something (they all do).  When he finally gets his answer then maybe it would be an endangered missing person (as it applies to the baby) and then other police departments would know about it if they came in contact with the man or the car.  

Careers: Police

Jack Toomey

If you are an author I will be happy to help you however I do expect a reasonable donation using the PayPal icon. U.S.: I am an expert in this category for the purpose of giving young people an idea what the hiring process involves for the position of police officer. I am getting a flood of questions from young people who are being influenced by unrealistic television shows. I'd ask you to consider that when you watch police shows on television that they are NOT realistic and most of what you see does not happen in real life. Please do not ask me about potential jail sentences that you, your friends, or family might receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer so I cannot answer questions about probation and parole matters. I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience.I worked in a variety of assignments including investigations, homicide, sex crimes, runaway investigations, missing persons, and fraud.I also dealt with the general public during that time giving a wide range of advice on matters such as domestic disputes, problem solving, teenage problems, civil/criminal matters, and dealing with the mentally ill. I am available to give sound and reasonable advice which can solve most problems. Please do not ask me to do homework questions or online interviews. Young people should not rely on the Internet for interviews. Local police officers are normally very agreeable to assist students with interviews and surveys.

Worked as a police officer/detective for 26 years.

Graduate of the University of Maryland.B.S. in Law Enforcement.Attended numerous schools and training courses involving investigations, interviewing, interrogations, crime detection, domestic violence, and others. Recognized in court as an expert witness.

Received numerous awards during my police career for expert investigations. Handled the most sensitive and confidential investigations. In 1999 I won an award for my work with high school students while working in my new career in a large suburban high school.

B.S from the University of Maryland.